Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
From the Reminiscences The Holy Mother - 27-12-2015

Reminiscences by Swami Aseshananda - 02

Afterwards I reported my meeting with Mother to Swami Akhilananda. I said I did not know what initiation meant or what I was expected to do or how to prepare for it. He said he would explain, not to worry. The evening before I was to go to Mother, Swami Akhilananda and I went to College Street market. We bought some fruits, sweets, flowers, and a red-bordered cloth to be offered to the Guru. That night I was a little worried. I had heard from Swami Akhilananda that the relationship between the Guru and the student was forged by a sacred word, called the mantra. Swami Akhilananda told me that whatever mantra the Guru gave in initiation was to be accepted. The student was not to give any suggestions. But I already had a certain way of thinking about my Chosen Ideal. If Mother were to change that, then what would I do? I could not keep quiet. I would have to speak out my mind. I would have to tell her, “Mother, I prefer this way.” For sometime I was in difficulty and could not sleep.

The next morning, Swami Akhilananda and I took bath in the Ganges and went to wait in the office of Udbodhan. The call came and I went upstairs. Mother performed the worship, but did not ask me to meditate in the beginning.

Then she gave me the sacred word, and it rang a bell in my heart. I thought, “Mother must be great; she knows my mind.” So I was satisfied. Then Mother asked me, “Will you take prasad, cooked food?” I said, “Mother, I have not asked for leave for whole day, only half the day.” So Mother gave me some fruits and sweets and then I returned down the stairs.

Many ask, “What is initiation?” Mother used to give reply, “Whatever I am to do for the disciple, I have done at the time of the initiation.” Those who have been initiated by the great Swamis of our Order should always remember that the Guru lives in the mantra. With the repetition of the mantra the spiritual form of the teacher appears. It is our faith that the mantra given by an illumined soul has tremendous power. Can you imagine the power than, when the Divine Mother herself comes to this earth and imparts spiritual wisdom to seekers after truth, to seekers after God?

HOLY MOTHER – by SWAMI ASESHANANDA (REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others - Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 96-97)