Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 003 04-01-2016

04-01-2016 Monday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 003

Preface contd…

Second, Holy Mother is often described in this book by such epithets as the Mother of the Universe and the Divine Power. These are not mere sentimental expressions on the part of her devotees, but have a philosophical significance. According to Vedanta philosophy, Brahman, or Ultimate Reality, is inactive. It is not, Itself, involved in the activities of creation, preservation, and dissolution. These are carried on by Its inscrutable energy, called maya or Shakti. Brahman and Shakti are inseparable, like fire and its power to burn or a gem and its lustre. The two names are given to one and the same Reality according to Its two different functions. The whole universe of the living and non-living is the projection of this divine energy, which, like an earthly mother, produces creatures from its womb and then nourishes them. This energy, again, finally withdraws the created beings into the Godhead, thus liberating them from the bondage of the world. The Hindus therefore regard it as the Mother and Saviour of all. Though this energy is present in all creatures, to a Hindu it resembles a woman more than a man. Undoubtedly all women are channels of Shakti, but a woman totally undefiled by worldliness becomes its most potent channel. Holy Mother was such a woman. Thus she too has been described as the saviour or the Divine Mother of the Universe. She looked on all children born of a woman’s womb as her own.

There are several books published in India, both in English and in local vernaculars, about the life and teachings of the Holy Mother. I have freely borrowed facts and ideas from some of them, and hereby express my indebtedness to the authors. Swami Gambhirananda’s book, published in English and in Bengali by the Sri Ramakrishna math, Madras, and the Udbodhan, Calcutta, respectively contains authenticated facts. Manadasankar Das Gupta’s Bengali life analyses these facts admirably. The life of Holy Mother by Swami Tapasyananda and Swami Nikhilananda, in English, also published by the Sri Ramakrishna Math, Madras, give in addition a number of Holy Mother’s conversations. I have included in the present book some of my own reminiscences.

In order to indicate Holy Mother’s place in the history and development of Indian womanhood, I have devoted the introductory chapter to a discussion of some of the great women of India. A glossary has been added to explain terms unfamiliar in the West.

Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p:vi-vii