Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 004 05-01-2016

05-01-2016 Tuesday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 004

Preface contd…

Mr. James Hobart has edited the entire manuscript with painstaking care and given many valuable suggestions to make the book more easily understandable, especially to Western readers. Swami Atmaghananda, besides editing the manuscript, has worked hard in looking after many mechanical details in order to prepare it for the press. Mr. Joseph Campbell, too, has revised the manuscript and made helpful suggestions. I am grateful to all of them. Though I have accepted many suggestions from the editors, I take full responsibility for the reflections and interpretations in this book. The manuscript has had to be typed several times. Mr. and Mrs. Harold Knapik, Mabel Colloredo-Mansfeld, and Dorothy Kruger cheerfully performed this chore. I am grateful to them also. The publication of this volume has been made possible through the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. Chester F. Carlson, and I express to them, as well, my deep gratitude.

Holy Mother’s life and teachings have a direct bearing on the present human situation. Physical scientists, and professional philosophers influenced by the scientific method of reason and experimentation, are preoccupied to discover the laws that explain and control life and nature. They are revealing various dimensions of reality which tell us about man and the world and also how to utilize this knowledge for man’s physical welfare. There is a growing number of thoughtful people who regard intellectual knowledge, illumined by spiritual insight, as inadequate to satisfy the deep yearning of the soul. They look to religion for inner peace. But unfortunately most of the religions, as practised today, are cluttered with dogmas and creeds that conceal the truth. Men want a guide with direct experience of the true nature of the Godhead, the world, and the soul. Only thus can his words and actions become imbued with love and compassion. Moreover, this experience, if it is to transform men’s lower nature and lead to the welfare of all, must be expressed in simple words. Perceptive readers may find in Holy Mother’s life the fulfillment of these conditions. They will also find one who, instead of luxuriating in the enjoyment of inner peace, worked till the last moment of her life to transmit that peace to others.

This book, I believe, will be a source of inspiration to the growing number of Sri Ramakrishna’s devotees and admirers among English-speaking people. Slowly Holy Mother’s influence will infiltrate the general thought current of the world and give an impetus to spiritual seekers everywhere, irrespective of their religious affiliations.

– NIKHILNANDA

Vivekananda Cottage
Thousand Island Park, N. Y.
July 21, 1961

------------