Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 052 Sunday 28-02-2016

28-02-2016 Sunday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 051

Marriage and After – 15

Sri Ramakrishna knew that in later years Sarada Devi would act as a spiritual teacher, and he taught her about the unsubstantial nature of the world, and its woes and sorrows. He asked her to cultivate detachment from transitory objects and develop devotion to God, who alone is real and eternal. ‘What good is there,’ he once said to her, ‘in giving birth, like dogs and jackals, to a whole brood of children? You have already lost a sister whom you brought up so tenderly; you have seen how deeply your parents lamented her death. You have seen all this with your own eyes. How miserable the life of the world is! Why should you bother about it? Without any such botheration, you look now like a goddess and will always remain a goddess.’ Hearing Sri Ramakrishna harping on death, the bashful Sarada said gently: ‘But do they all die?” Perhaps she had an intimation of the inner longing for motherhood which is present in all women. At once Sri Ramakrishna said to the other ladies, in a loud voice: ‘See! I have stepped in the tail of a real cobra. Goodness gracious! I often said to myself: “She is such a simple soul, unaware of the ways of the world.” But see how much she keeps inside her. Did you hear what she said – “Do they all die?”’ Sarada ran away.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 34 – 35