Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 058 Sunday 06-03-2016

06-03-2016 Sunday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 058

First Visit to Dakshineswar – 06

As soon as Sri Ramakrishna saw Sarada, he said: ‘So you have come. I am very happy.’ He asked someone to spread a straw mat on the floor. They sat on it and began to talk. Hearing of her illness on the way, he expressed concern. Eager to provide for her treatment and physical comfort, he said again and again: ‘You have come so late. Alas, my Mathur1 (1 The wealthy custodian of the Kali temple at Dakshineswar and grateful provider of Sri Ramakrishna’s personal needs. He died a few months earlier.) is no longer alive to look after you. With his death I feel as if I have lost my right arm.’ Sarada wanted to go to the Nahabat,2 (2 A small building to the north of the Master’s room, originally intended for the playing of music at certain hours of the day and night to entertain deities. There was a similar structure on the south side of the temple grounds.) where her old mother-in-law was living. Sri Ramakrishna said: ‘Oh no, stay in my room. It will be inconvenient for the physician to see you there.’ A separate bed was made for Sarada in the Master’s room and it was arranged that one of her companions should spend the night with her. As it was past meal time, Hriday gave the visitors a large basket of puffed rice for supper. Next day the physician came, and within three or four days Sarada was completely well. She then went to the Nahabat to be near her mother-in-law.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 39 – 40