Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 071 Sunday 20-03-2016

20-03-2016 Sunday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 071

Awakening of Divinity – 05

For about six months after this special worship, Sarada Devi spent her nights, as usual, in Sri Ramakrishna’s room. The company of her husband was, no doubt, a source of great joy to her. But she frequently had to spend sleepless nights on account of his constant ecstasies, which at that time she did not know how to cope with. Reminiscing about this period, Sarada Devi subsequently said to her devotees: ‘It is impossible to describe his spiritual moods in those days. In the god-intoxicated state he would sometimes say words incomprehensible to me, sometimes laugh, sometimes weep, and sometimes remain motionless in samadhi, like a corpse. The whole night would pass that way. My body trembled in fear and I eagerly awaited the break of day. At that time I knew almost nothing about samadhi. One night his mind did not come down to the ordinary plane of consciousness for a long time. I was frightened and sent for Hriday. He came and for a while repeated the Lord’s name into the Master’s ear. Only then did the Master regain the normal mood. After that the Master taught me various mantras1 (1 Sacred words associated with the various names of God or a deity.) and also told me how to use them for different kinds of samadhi. Thus I gradually got rid of my fear and also succeeded in bringing his mind down from samadhi. But as I did know when he would go into samadhi, I kept awake all night. Coming to realize my plight, he asked me to sleep at the Nahabat.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 47 – 48