Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 076 Friday 25-03-2016

25-03-2016 Friday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 076

Awakening of Divinity – 10

The house, however, was damp. After staying in it for a year, Sarada Devi was stricken with a serious attack of dysentery. Sambhu arranged for her treatment. She returned to Jayrambati in September 1876, when she felt a little better. But soon the ailment came back in a rather serious form and there was fear for her life. At the news of her illness Sri Ramakrishna became very sad and said to Hriday: ‘What is going to happen? If she just comes to the world and departs, when will she fulfil the purpose of her human embodiment?’ Sarada Devi became a mere skeleton. Looking at her reflection in the water of a pond, she once said to herself: ‘How disgusting! Such is the body! Let me give it up here and now. Why keep it alive anymore?’ Recounting this illness, she said later: ‘My body at one time was swollen all over. My nose, eyes, and ears were running profusely. My brother said that I should lie down before the image of Simhavahini custom often followed without food or drink till the Goddess revealed a suitable medicine.2 (2 A custom often followed by people in order to recover from a difficult illness.) I agreed and he supported me as I walked to the temple. There I lay down. At last in a vision I was asked to put on my blind eyes, drop by drop, the juice of the flower of the bottle-gourd pressed with salt, and was assured of my cure. I applied the medicine and almost immediately my eyes cleared up. Gradually the swelling of the body disappeared and I recovered. I told people about the medicine I had received from Simhavahini. My uncle, too, once had lain down in the temple for a similar purpose. But he was so hotly pursued by big ants that he had to run away. The Goddess appeared to my mother in a dream and said: “I am sleeping now. Why is he disturbing me now? He is a brahmin. Doesn’t he know the rules? Go at once and take him home.” My mother said to me: “Why, if the Goddess could say all this, didn’t she take the trouble to name the medicine?” From that time on the power of the Goddess became known far and near, and people in large numbers began to visit her. Sarada Devi always kept with her a little earth from the temple grounds and used to eat one or two grains of it daily.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 50 – 51