Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 081 Wednesday 30-03-2016

30-03-2016 Wednesday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 081

Awakening of Divinity – 15

Sarada felt reassured as she saw the figure of a woman at a distance. She said to the robber: ‘Father, my companions have left me behind. Perhaps I am going in the wrong direction. Your son-in-law2 (2 Referring to Sri Ramakrishna) lives at the Kali temple at Dakshineswar. I am going to him. Please accompany me there. He will certainly appreciate your kindness and show you proper courtesy.’ No sooner had Sarada said these words than the woman came up. She was the robber’s wife. Trustfully Sarada clasped her hand and said: ‘Mother, I am your child Sarada. My companions have left me behind. I am terribly frightened. It is by sheer luck that you and Father have come; otherwise I do not know what I would have done.’

These simple and straightforward words melted the hearts of the low-caste robber and his wife, who at once adopted her as their daughter and bid her be of good cheer. Finding her tired, they stopped at the nearest village and spent the night in a small inn. The man bought some simple food from a shop and the wife improvised a bed with her clothes. Gently she was put to sleep, and the robber kept watch all night, sitting outside with his stick near by. Early next morning they set out for the village of Tarakeswar, where Sarada Devi had planned to spend the night with her companions. On the way, the robber’s wife picked some tender peas for Sarada from the fields. She ate them with relish. Soon after their arrival at Tarakeswar they took shelter at an inn. The woman said to her husband: ‘My daughter practically fasted last night. Quickly finish the worship at the Siva temple and buy some fish and vegetables. I would like to feed her well.’ In a short while Sarada Devi’s companions found her. They were relieved to see her safe and sound. She said to them, referring to the robber and his wife: ‘I don’t know what I would have done last evening if they hadn’t taken me under their wing.’ All of them ate together and had a happy time. Soon the party set out for Dakshineswar. They walked together for some distance, and when the moment of parting came, Sarada Devi and her new parents began to weep. The robber’s wife again picked some green peas from the roadside, tied them in a corner of Sarada Devi’s sari, and said affectionately: ‘Child, when you eat puffed rice tonight, please take these peas with it.’ Sarada Devi reached Dakshineswar and told the Master of her experiences of the previous night.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 53 – 54