Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 096 23-04-2016

23-04-2016 Saturday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 096

In The March of Events – 08

But her most pleasant and responsible duty was to cook for Sri Ramakrishna, who, on account of his weak stomach, had to be given special food. The sight of a large quantity of rice on the plate would often make him nervous, and he would refuse to take it for fear of upsetting his digestion. Sarada Devi would therefore play a trick: she pressed the rice down hard into a small heap. In the same way she would boil down his milk to make the quantity appear small. Once he was taking a special treatment which forbade his taking even a drop of water. She boiled for him about three quarts of milk down to less than a quart. But the Master has his suspicions and asked about the real amount. Sarada Devi said that it was about a quart. One day Golap-Ma, a woman disciple, was asked the exact quantity and she told the truth. The Master became nervous and said that the excessive milk caused him indigestion. When Sarada Devi was sent for, e pacified him by saying that Golap-Ma did not know the size of the pot in which the milk was measured. Another day he again inquired of Golap-Ma about the milk and she told the exact quantity. He sent for Sarada Devi and asked her in detail about how many quarts and pints the pot held. She replied: ‘I don’t know about quarts and pints. Please drink the milk. Why all these calculations?’ He was not satisfied and said he might get indigestion. And that day his stomach was upset. Golap-Ma felt very sorry about the whole incident and said to Sarada Devi: ‘You should have told me your secret beforehand. How was I to know? I have spoiled his whole meal.’ Sarada Devi replied: ‘There is no harm in telling fibs about food. This is how I coax him to eat.’ It was only thus that Sri Ramakrishna improved his health, became almost cured of stomach trouble, and gained some weight. Many years later Sarada Devi, asked by an American devotee, Mrs. Ole Bull, about her attitude towards Sri Ramakrishna, said: ‘In spiritual matters absolute obedience; in other things I used my own common sense.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 63 – 64