Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 112 09-05-2016

09-05-2016 Monday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 112

In The March of Events – 24

Though a girl brought up in a backward village and scarcely able to read and write, Sarada Devi possessed keen intelligence and unusual circumspection. Once a wealthy devotee noticed that Sri Ramakrishna’s bed-sheet was soiled and wanted to give him ten thousand rupees to provide for his necessary comforts. The embodiment of renunciation, he felt extreme pain, as if someone was cutting his head with a saw. ‘O Mother,’ he prayed to Kali tearfully, ‘why are you tempting me again at this stage of my life?’ He refused to accept the gift. But the devotee insisted. Sri Ramakrishna, wanting to test Sarada Devi, sent for her and said: ‘Look here, the devotee wants me to accept this money. This is utterly impossible for me. Now he wants to leave the gift with you. Why should you not accept it? Much to his relief, Sarada Devi immediately replied: ‘what are you saying? How can that be? The money must never be accepted. If I take it, it will be the same as your taking it, because even if it is kept with me the money will be spent for you. People show you respect for your renunciation. So you must refuse the gift.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 73 – 74