Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 116 13-05-2016

13-05-2016 Friday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 116

In The March of Events – 28

For several years Sri Ramakrishna attended a religious festival at Panihati, a few miles north of Dakshineswar, in which thousands of people took part. In 1885 he wanted to participate in the function and invited some of his devotees, both men and women, to join him. Sarada Devi requested a woman devotee to ask the Master if she should accompany them. The Master told her: ‘She may go if she wishes.’ Sarada thought for a while and said she would not go because of the great crowd. The Master and the devotees went to the festival. After his return at night he said to a devotee: ‘What a crowd of people! On account of my spiritual moods I became the centre of attraction for all. It was wise that she [referring to Sarada Devi] did not accompany me. If people had seen her with me they would have made fun of us and teasingly said: There to the hamsa and the hamsi.1 ( The Sanskrit word for gander is hamsa, and for goose hamsi. Hamsa also signifies God or Soul. Sri Ramakrishna was often called the Pramahamsa (Great Soul, the title of one belonging to the highest order of monks.) She is very intelligent.’

When Sarada Devi was told what the Master had said, she remarked: ‘I realized he was not wholeheartedly giving me permission to go. Instead of saying: “Yes, of course she will go,” he merely said: “She may go if she wishes.” He left the decision to me. So I gave up the idea of going.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 75 – 76