Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 119 16-05-2016

16-05-2016 Monday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 119

In The March of Events – 31

Sarada Devi’s liberality and compassion were the result of the awakening of motherhood in her. She felt that she was mother to all who came to Sri Ramakrishna, and acted accordingly. In this particular area of her life, she permitted no outside interference. She could not turn away anybody who addressed her as ‘Mother.’ To give an instance, one day, as was her habit, she was carrying Sri Ramakrishna’s food to his room when a woman said to her: ‘Mother, please let me carry the plate.’ Sarada agreed and the woman took the plate to the Master’s room, placed it before him, and went away. Sarada Devi sat near Sri Ramakrishna in order to watch him eat. But he could not even touch the food. Looking at Sarada Devi, he said: ‘What have you done? Why did you allow her to touch the plate? Don’t you know she leads an immoral life? How can I eat food she has touched?’ Sarada said: ‘I know all about it; please eat the food today.’ But still the Master could not touch the plate. At her repeated request he said: ‘Please promise not to allow that woman to carry my food again.’ Sarada Devi said firmly, with folded hands: ‘master, I cannot give any such promise, but I shall try to bring your food myself. If someone addresses me as “Mother” and wishes to carry the plate, I shall not be able to refuse. You must not forget that you only my Lord; you are the Lord of all.’ Sri Ramakrishna was satisfied and ate his meal.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 77