Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 124 21-05-2016

21-05-2016 Saturday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 124

Spiritual Practices – 03

Sarada Devi and Lakshmi had been initiated by a monk while they were living at Kamarpukur. The Master again initiated them at Dakshineswar. Sarada Devi, though occupied with many household duties, spent a long time in repeating the sacred word. She said that she used to repeat it daily one hundred thousand times.1 (1 It appears that through rigorous disciplines she formed the habit of repeating the mantra mentally, even while performing domestic and other work.) Recalling an incident of that time, Sarada Devi said: ‘At Dakshineswar I used to get up at three o’clock in the morning and sit in meditation. Often I totally forgot my body and the world. Once, during the early hours of the morning, as I was meditating, a gentle breeze blew my red-bordered cloth off by back, but I did not know it. The Master saw me in that condition, though I was unaware of it. On moonlit nights I would look at the moon and pray: “May my mind be pure as the rays of the moon!” or “O Lord, there are stains even on the moon, but let my mind be absolutely stainless.” If a person is steady in meditation, he will clearly see the Lord in his heart and hear His voice. The moment an idea flashes in his mind, it will at once be fulfilled and he will be bathed in peace. Ah, what a state of mind I was in at that time! One day the maidservant dropped a metal plate in front of me with a bang. The sound hit me and penetrated, as it were, into my heart.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 81 – 82