Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 188 30-July-2016

30-07-2016 Saturday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 187

Anguish and Reassurances – 11

In February 1889 she returned to Kamarpukur and spent about a year there. She visited Kamarpukur several times before finally settling down at Jayrambati. During one of these visits to Kamarpukur a painful incident occurred. Harish, a devotee of Sri Ramakrishna, had formerly stayed with the Master from time to time. His wife had been greatly disturbed by his indifference to the family and had given him some medicine to divert his mind to the worldly life. This had affected his brain. He arrived at Kamarpukur one day in a deranged state of mind and began to act ******** Holy Mother was worried and wrote about him to the young disciples then living at Baranagore. Before they could take any step he became really insane. What happened is best described in the Mother’s own words: ‘One day as I entered the compound of our home from a visit with a neighbour, Harish began to chase me. He was then insane. His wife had brought about this condition. There was no one in our house. In a helpless state I began to walk fast around our granary. He pursued me. After going around it seven times I stopped. I assumed my real form,1 (1 According to some, she assumed the form of BagalA, one of the forms of the Divine Mother. BagalA is described as the destroyer of demons) laid him on the ground, placed my knees on his chest, and slapped him hard. He began to gasp for breath. My fingers became red.’ Harish was pacified and soon after left for Vrindavan, where he again became normal.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 113