Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 198 11-August-2016

11-08-2016 Thursday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 198

Anguish and Reassurances – 22

It was a moonlit light. Holy Mother was seated on the steps leading to the Ganges, looking at the full moon mirrored in the millions of waves of the sacred river. Suddenly she saw Sri Ramakrishna come from behind and proceed swiftly to the river. The moment he touched the water his body dissolved in it. ‘The hairs on my body stood on end,’ Holy Mother said later, describing the incident. ‘I looked at the phenomenon with my mouth wide open, in utter amazement. All of a sudden Naren also appeared, I don’t know from where. Crying: ‘Victory unto Ramakrishna!’, he took the water in his two hands and began to sprinkle it upon innumerable men and women gathered around. Immediately they attained liberation.’ The vision was so vivid that for some days after she could not step into the river where the Master’s body had dissolved. It reminded her also of his words: ‘You cannot die now. You must live to awaken people’s spirituality. How few I have helped! Many will come to you. You shall have to assume responsibility for them.’ Holy Mother resolved to take care of her body for the sake of the Master’s work. This experience finally convinced her that Sri Ramakrishna’s physical death did not mean he had ceased to exist. He had been incarnated to fulfil a cosmic purpose, and she must do her share to bring it about. Thus she came to realize the central purpose of her own life.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 118 – 119