Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 201 14-August-2016

14-08-2016 Sunday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 201

Anguish and Reassurances – 25

Golap-ma: ‘Mother says that the Master is not different from the one he called “Mother”. It was the Master who accomplished all this work through you. You are his chosen child and disciple. How dearly he loved you! He foretold that you would teach men.’

Swamiji: ‘My aim is to preach the message of the Master, and nothing else. And for that purpose I want to start a permanent organization. I feel frustrated because I cannot form it as quickly as I wish.’

This time Holy Mother herself said in a whisper: ‘Do not worry. What you are doing now and what you will do in the future will be permanent. You care born just to accomplish this work. Thousands of people will hail you as a world teacher, a bestower of divine knowledge. I can assure you that the Master will fulfil your desire in no time. You will soon see that the work you want to undertake will be accomplished.

Swami Vivekananda was reassured and deeply moved by Holy Mother’s blessings. In the course of this meeting he also said to her: ‘Mother, I did not clear the ocean this time in one jump1 (1 A reference to Hanuman, the monkey devotee and servant of Rama. As narrated in the Ramayana, in order to find Sita and fulfil the mission entrusted to him by Rama he jumped over the water separating Ceylon from India. Swami Vivekananda regarded himself as Sri Ramakrishna’s servant.) I went to America in a boat built by Westerners. I discovered there the great glories of our Master. How many good people heard from me, spellbound, about Sri Ramakrishna and accepted his ideas!’

On May 1, 1897, Swami Vivekananda inaugurated the Ramakrishna Mission with Holy Mother’s blessings. The Mission held weekly meetings at Balaram Bose’s house on Sundays. The Mother attended some of these with several of women devotees. Often Swami Vivekananda sang when she was present.