Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 203 & 204

Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 203 16-August-2016

16-08-2016 Tuesday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 203

Anguish and Reassurances – 27

In October 1898, Swami Vivekananda returned from a trip to Kashmir and visited Holy Mother. He said to her in a rather piqued voice: ‘Mother, how slight your Master’s power is! A holy man in Kashmir became angry with me because one of his disciples was attached to me. He cursed me, saying that on account of stomach trouble I would have to leave the place in three days. And so it happened. Your Master could not help me.’ Holy Mother replied through an intermediary: ‘This is the result of psychic powers the holy man had acquired. You must accept the manifestation of such powers. The Master believed in them. He did not come to destroy. He accepted all traditions.’ Swami Vivekananda, still piqued, said that he would no longer accept Sri Ramakrishna. ‘My son,’ she said teasingly, ‘how can you help it? Even the tuft of your hair is held in his hand.’

On November 12, 1898, Holy Mother visited the Belur math and performed the worship of Sri Ramakrishna in the shrine. Shortly thereafter the Belur Math was formally dedicated and the monks took up residence there.

* END OF CHAPTER *

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 122 – 123

Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 204 17-August-2016

17-08-2016 Wednesday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 204

In a Domestic Setting – 01

HOLY MOTHER MADE JAYRAMBATI her permanent country residence from 1897 till 1920, the year of her death. When she lived there, especially in later years, many devotees from far and near visited the place. This gave the villagers an opportunity to sell their fruits, vegetables, fish, milk, and other articles to add to their meager income. Holy Mother adored Jayrambati, whose every particle of dust was sacred to her. The place was, at that time, ravaged by malaria, and the comforts of city life were practically unknown. Yet she often grew weary of the restricted life in Calcutta and returned to Jayrambati for relaxation. At Jayrambati she enjoyed freedom of movement among the simple villagers whom she knew from her birth. Also she felt the need of looking after her brothers’ families at Jayrambati. And perhaps there was a deeper reason for her choosing her paternal home as a place of residence. She thus taught the world how one could be burdened day and night with worldly responsibilities and at the same time lead a saintly life. Here she demonstrated that even the most humdrum duties of the world can be performed as spiritual acts. Since her domestic life was conterminous with her life of spiritual ministry, we shall first consider her relationship to her family.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 124