Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 205 18-August-2016

18-08-2016 Thursday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 205

In a Domestic Setting – 02

Holy Mother was the eldest child of the family. She cherished the greatest respect for her parents. Of two of her three uncles, very little is known. The youngest Nilmadhav, remained a bachelor and served as cook in a wealthy family. After his retirement he settled at Jayrambati. Since no other relative came forward to assume responsibility for him in his old age, Holy Mother asked him to live with her. She grew fond of this uncle and personally looked after his comforts and needs. He sometimes accompanied her in her travels. When devotees gave her costly things, such as fruits which were out of season, Holy Mother selected the best and gave them to Nilmadhav. If a disciple protested against this excessive kindness, she would say: ‘Uncle has only a few days to live. Let him fulfil all his desires. I shall live a long time and have many opportunities to enjoy these things.’ Nilmadhav suffered from asthma. In spite of treatment and Holy Mother’s personal nursing the illness became seriously aggravated. On his last day she wanted to remain by his side and refused to eat her midday meal. The devotees told her that death was not imminent and persuaded her to go to the dining room. After quickly finishing the meal, she went to her uncle’s sick-bed and saw sadness on the faces of the attendants. Startled, she asked: ‘Is he then no more?’ Everybody remained silent. In a voice shaken with grief and anger she said: ‘Why did you send me away to eat that trash? I could not see him in his last moments.’ She wept bitterly, as if she had lost her own father. Placing some flowers from the shrine on his chest and head, she prayed for the peace of her uncle’s soul. That was in Calcutta in 1905.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 124 – 125