Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 209 22-August-2016

22-08-2016 Monday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 209

In a Domestic Setting – 06

As we have already seen, Holy Mother had five brothers and one sister. Her sister, Kadambini, died soon after her marriage, leaving no offspring. Her brother Umesh died unmarried at the age of eighteen or nineteen. It was he who had persuaded Holy Mother to intercede with the village deity Simhavahini for a medicine when she was seriously ill of dysentery. Abhaycharan, the youngest, who she loved most, received a good education. He entered medical school and became friendly with Sri Ramakrishna’s disciples Swami Vivekananda, Swami Brahmananda, and Swami Saradananda. Swami Brahmananda helped him to buy his medical books, and Swami Vivekananda sometimes played cards with him. One day the latter remarked: ‘I didn’t know that Mother had such an intelligent brother. Her other brothers are mere priests, practically illiterate and always asking for their priestly fees.’ Soon after obtaining a medical degree, Abhay dies of cholera. His death moved Holy Mother deeply, and once she said regarding her nephews: ‘Let them remain illiterate.’ When her sisters-in-law protested about such a peculiar wish, she said: ‘What do you know? I brought up Abhay nicely, and he left me for good.’ Abhay was married. After his death his wife gave birth to a daughter, Radharani, who as we shall see, played a very important part in Holy Mother’s life.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 127 – 128