Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 220 2-September-2016

02-09-2016 Friday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 220

In a Domestic Setting – 17

Besides being deranged, Surabala was selfish and vituperative. She was jealous of her sisters-in-law and nieces, especially Nalini. She suffered from many imaginary grievances. She thought that Holy Mother appropriated for herself all the jewellery belonging to her daughter and often created scenes about the matter. Once, after Radharani’s marriage, she imagined that her son-in-law had drowned himself in a talk and that Holy Mother was responsible for it, whereas all the time he was playing cards with his friends. She could not bear the idea of Holy Mother’s making any gift to her other nieces or sisters-in-law, and wanted her to make ample provision for Radharani before spending money for any other purpose. One day in Benares her abuse of Holy Mother reached the limit. The Mother said to her: ‘Do not regard me as an ordinary human being. You do not abuse me alone, but my father and mother also. I do not take any offense. I say to myself that you are only making a noise. If I brood on your faults, then who will protect you? As long as I am alive, things will be well with you. Your daughter will remain yours. I shall look after her as long as she cannot stand on her own feet. Why, otherwise, should I show so much attachment to her? This very moment I can cut off my connections with your daughter. Some day I shall vanish like camphor in the air, and you will not even know it.’ Surabala changed her tone and said: ‘When did I show disrespect to your father? I never did. All I meant was that if you wanted to give something to a person you gave him everything.’ Holy Mother replied: ‘I have the nature of a child. I cannot calculate. Whoever asks me for something, I at once give it to him.’ Tormented by the insane sister-in-law, Holy Mother once remarked: ‘My mind is eager to soar high into the spiritual plane. I feel compassion for them and keep it down. And what do I get in return? Only abuse and insults.’ Another day she said to Surabala, after finishing her worship: ‘Many saints and ascetics do not obtain my favour through austerities. And here I am with you and you do not know it.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 133 – 134