Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 226 8-September-2016

08-09-2016 Thursday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 226

In a Domestic Setting – 23

There was a child in Calcutta who gave a great deal of trouble to her family and always demanded attention.

She used to visit Holy Mother with her own mother. Whenever she entered the Mother’s room she clung to her. The Mother always gave her plenty of sweets to eat. Once Holy Mother was about to leave for Jayrambati and said to the little girl: ‘Darling, you have been visiting me a long time. Do you love me?’

‘Yes, I love you very much.’

‘How much?’

The girl stretched her arms as wide as she could and said: ‘That much.’ The Mother asked: ‘Will you still love me when I am away at Jayrambati?’

‘Yes, I will love you just the same. I shall not forget you.’

‘How shall I know it?’

‘What should I do to make you know?’

‘I shall be sure if your love for me if you can love everyone at home.’

‘All right, I will love all of them. I will not be naughty any more.’

‘That’s very good. But how shall I know that you will love all equally , and not some more and some less?’

‘What should I do to love all equally?’

‘Let me tell you how to love all equally. Do not demand anything of those you love. If you make demands, some will give you more and some less. In that case you will love more those who give you more and less those who give you less. Thus your love will not be same for all. You will not be able to love all impartially.’ The girl promised to love all without demanding any in return. And, indeed, it was reported that from that time her behaviour in the family was exemplary.

Holy Mother’s love sought no return. She showed equal love for the righteous and the unrighteous. On one occasion she said that she was the mother of the beasts, birds, and insects, as well.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 137 – 139