Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 236 17-September-2016

17-09-2016 Saturday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 235

In a Domestic Setting – 32

In a neighbouring village lived many Muslem families who some years before had earned their livelihood by making silk. But when the business was ruined because of the competition of imported silk, these Moslems became thieves and dacoits, and people were frightened of them. Then in 1915 a famine broke out, and some of the Moslems supported themselves by assisting in the construction of Holy Mother’s new house. Observing their peaceful life, the people of Jayrambati used to say: ‘By Mother’s grace even desperadoes have become devotees of God.’ Holy Mother was extremely kind to them. One day a Moslem offered Holy Mother some bananas and said: ‘Mother, I have brought them for the Master, will you accept them?’ ‘Of course I will,’ Holy Mother replied. ‘Give them to me. You have brought them for the Master I shall certainly take them.’ The man was rewarded with some sweets. A woman devotee who was present was surprised and said to the Mother: ‘We know he is a thief. How can you offer his things to the Master?’ After he had left Holy Mother scolded the woman and said: ‘I know who is good and who is bad.’ On one occasion she said: ‘Men, by nature, often do evil things. How few know how to make them good!’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 143