Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 236 18-September-2016

18-09-2016 Sunday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 236

In a Domestic Setting – 33

Another Moslem, Amjad, who was a bandit, built the wall for Holy Mother’s new house. One day she invited him for a meal, which was arranged on the porch of her house. An orthodox Hindu in many respects treats a Muslem as untouchable and regards food or drink touched by him as polluted. Nalini, Holy Mother’s niece, began to throw the food at Amjad’s plate from a distance. Holy Mother noticed this and said: ‘How can one enjoy food if it is offered with such scorn? Let me wait on him properly.’ After he had finished his meal, Holy Mother cleaned the place with her own hands. Nalini shrieked: ‘Aunt, you have lost your caste!’ ‘Keep quiet,’ the Mother scolded her. And she added: ‘As Sarat is my son, exactly so is Amjad.’ Sarat was a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna, the Secretary of the Ramakrishna Mission, and a monk possessed with saintly virtues, and Amjad was a man of disreputable character. Her behaviour on this occasion bears out her remark: ‘I am the Mother of the good and I am the Mother of the wicked.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 143 – 144