Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 254 06-October-2016

06-10-2016 Thursday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 254

Chapter 11 – Radhu : 085

One more incident before we finish the story of Radhu. It happened three months before the curtain was rung down on Holy Mother’s life. The evening worship was finished at the Udbodhan. The nurse was sent for to feed Vanu. It was not yet quite his feeding time, but the baby was crying and Radhu wanted to feed him. Holy Mother forbade her to do so. Radhu’s temper was ablaze. Abusing her mercilessly, Radhu said: ‘I shall put fire to your mouth.1 (1 A curse for death. The allusion is to the Hindu custom of cremation. Fire is first put to the mouth of the corpse as it lies on the funeral pyre.) Why don’t you die?’ That day Holy Mother’s patience reached its limit. Angrily she said: ‘Oh, yes, yes! You will learn what will happen to you after my death. What a plight you will be in! I don’t know how many kicks and thrashings with a broomstick are in store for you. Today is the first day of the year. I sincerely wish that you may die first.2 (2 According to popular belief a wish made on New Year’s Day comes true.) and then I shall follow you with a peaceful mind.’ This remarkable statement shows Holy Mother’s solicitude for Radhu’s welfare.3 (3 Nine months after Holy Mother’s death, Radhu’s husband took a second wife. Deprived of conjugal love, Radhu went back to Jayrambati. Manmatha’s pecuniary condition took a turn for the worse. Swami Saradananda had made arrangements for an allowance for Radhu. Manmatha often went to Jayrambati to claim a share of it, and Radhu could not refuse this financial help.) Radhu went on with her abuse. Holy Mother asked an attendant to fan her, since her whole body burnt, as it were, from Radhu’s torment.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 156 – 157