Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 264 16-October-2016

17-10-2016 Monday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 265

Chapter 12 – Spiritual Ministry : 008

Holy Mother lived for thirty-three years after her return from Vrindavan in 1887. We have seen that during the first eleven of these years she lived a virtually retired life, visiting Calcutta only now and then. During the second eleven years the public began to learn about her and she initiated a few disciples. During the third period (1909-1920), which she spent mostly at her own houses in Calcutta and Jayrambati, devotees thronged to receive her blessings. From the fullness of her heart she bestowed her grace upon all. Men and women of every station and stage of life came to her. Among them there were high and low, young and old, students and lawyers, physicians and teachers, revolutionaries, spiritually evolved souls and people entangled in the world, and some eccentric as well. With a very few exceptions none went away empty-handed. A silent yearning constantly welled up from her heart: ‘Come, all of you, I am here for your sake. I shall soothe my heart by showing you the way to liberation.’ She did not publicly summon the devotees. She did not write books, issue statements, or mount a public platform. The disciples of Sri Ramakrishna were extremely reticent about her. Perhaps they were afraid that ordinary people would take her lightly or not show her proper respect. But drawn by her irresistible attraction they all came. She seemed to be waiting for them. ‘Let them all come,’ her motherly heart said. ‘None will be rejected. Suppose they have lived sinful lives. Will they be deprived of my blessings on that account?’ She initiated them in the shrine room, and from her sick-bed, on roads and railway platforms, in meadows and under trees. All felt, when with her, that they were in the presence of an affectionate mother and made all kind of demands upon her – reasonable and unreasonable. To the best of her power she tried to satisfy them. She had hardly any respite even when she badly needed it. If no devotee came to her on a particular day, she would say: ‘No one has come. This day seems to be passing in vain.’ Very shortly a seeker would arrive. This went on till nearly the end of her life. One day Holy Mother said seriously to a disciple: ‘He is unfortunate indeed who does not feel my compassion. I do now know anyone, not even an insect, for whom I do not feel compassion.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 163 – 165