Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 291 17-December-2016

17-12-2016 Saturday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 291

Chapter 13 – In the Role of Teacher : 010

To resume the narrative of Holy Mother’s method of initiation. Generally the Mother needed only a few minutes to initiate a disciple. Someone later asked Swami Saradananda why he took half an hour to perform this task. The Swami said that Holy Mother could tell by a glance or a touch whether the Master had accepted the aspirant, whereas he required long meditation to be assured of this acceptance.

It is recounted that in a very few cases she declined to give initiation. Perhaps the candidates were not ready, or perhaps such initiation would have drained too much of her spiritual strength. She herself once said: “Embodiment limits the power of the Spirit.’ Sometimes she would say: ‘This body will day surely perish. Let it go now, if it must, but let me give initiation.’ With what poignancy she felt for people’s affliction can be realized from one of her remarks: ‘Now and then I think if this body, instead of being such a small frame of bone and flesh, were a big one, how many people I could help.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 182 – 183