Return to Website

The Trona High School Alumni Message Board

All Things THS Alumni Related !

The Trona High School Alumni Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Larry Keeling

Looking for anyone who knew my brother. Larry Keeling class of 1966. He was killed in vietnam in 1969. We were presented with his dog tags last week, They were found in Nam after 37 years. I was about 4 when Larry was killed. I'm just looking to find out any information on him,friends,high school girlfriend,wild crazy teenage stories. Anything would be of help.
Thank Robert

Re: Larry Keeling

Hi Robert. I knew of your brother, Larry, and I attended his funeral even though I was only 11 years old at the time. My memories are not as one of his contemporary, but as a child who looked up to him. My Dad, Jackson Cooper, officiated at Larry's funeral. I'll ask my family for information/memories about Larry for you.

I remember how stocky he was as a young man. He seemed to have been a barrel-chested young man, shorter than most, full of statured determination. Quite focused. Do you remember a spring in his step? I do remember that he had a love for Jesus as a young man. This faith of his may not have been know by all, but it was something I knew of. And I respected him for it.

I visited his grave while in Trona last October 2005.

Hope your search is gratifying to you and his memory.

Hi Robert, I knew Larry, but not very well. He was a few years older than me. He dated my sister, Lydia, but I don't think they went "steady." My sister died in an accident in 1967 and I believe that Larry reached out to me in kindness. I wrote him a few times during his years in Vietnam. He wrote me once, but I don't think I have the letter. I remember him as being very committed to being in Viet Nam. I am sorry you lost your brother, I know it is a loss you will feel your entire life.

Hi Robert...I knew your brother fairly well as he was part of the "neighborhood kids" and we all hung out together and played "kick the can" and other childhood games...We shot marbles and went on egging raids on halloween in Trona, when it was Pioneer Point vs. Trona vs. Argus vs. West End....He was a couple years younger than me...I was always moved by his passion for joining up in the war in Viet Nam...I saw him during his return and before he went back, although I only remember a brief conversation from that time...He was super gung ho for his duty and challange....We always called him "Tarzan" when he was younger because of his build and his love of the Tarzan movies and stories...My understanding was that he made it through his first tour of duty and and upon returning died doing something very heroic...Hard to know the particulars...But Larry was one of the kids on the block and will forever be etched in my memory...He's been remembered often and fondly over the years...Ron '64

Hi Robert,
I knew Larry all through school, and even before school. I lived in Westend. When we were very young, 3, or 4, he & I & his cousin, Janis Keeling, my best friend, would play coyboys and indians in the bushes between the houses. I can remember when one of your younger siblings was born (can't remember if a boy or a girl), but anyway, I remember this bassinet in the kitchen with a tiny baby. We did all sorts of "playing" in those early days. Westend was very small & all of the kids played together.
Then later on, all the houses were moved or torn down & our families had to move. I know Larry's & my families moved out to the "Point", Pioneer Point.
I remember him in sports, foot ball, basketball, etc. He was a great guy. Then he went a re-upped for Vietnam. It really hurt going to his funeral.
A small replical of "The Wall" that was on tour was in Anchorage, AK (where I now live) & my husband & I visited it. I have a rubbing of Larry's name from it. Then two years ago, we were in D.C., & visited the real thing. We again found Larry's name. Very moving.
Any way, he was a good guy, you had a great brother!

Hi Robert -- I knew Larry since the 50's, through Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Ira Russel's Webelos, and throughout high school. Unfortunately we didn't see each other again after we graduated; he headed for the military and I went to school in San Diego.

My earliest recollections of him were in my mom's Cub Scout Den 4--she took the den over from John, Ed, and Tom Pickrell's mom, Edna. I'm sure that Larry was in Mrs. Pickrell's den before that. Others that were in that den were Terry Little and Mark Goodsen, and my brothers Alan and Paul.

Larry was a freckle-faced, feisty, and energetic little guy that loved to wrestle anybody. He'd take on anyone twice his size...and usually outlast them. I still remember when he and Terry Little wrestled long and hard in the dirt until they ended up in a draw, both, sweaty, red-faced and totally wasted. Even though your brother took his wrestling seriously, I never saw him hold a grudge though. He was a real friendly character and those were great days.

Most of us Pioneer Pointers called him "Keeling" but I think it might have been Ed Pickrell who stuck him with the "Tarzan" moniker. There's still stories out there about your brother that you probably need to hear (like when Larry and Ed Barker took on a few CHP's) but I only heard the story second hand so I'll let someone who was there tell you about those.

I have a couple of black and white photos of us in Webelos with Ed, Tom, Larry, and myself probably taken in the summer of '59 in storage. I'll try to dig 'em out this weekend and scan and send 'em to you. One, in particular, gets me all foggy-eyed every time I look at it...reminding me of good times and good friends...like Larry. ---Eric Bengtson

Hi Robert,
I sure do remember Larry. He was one great friend. He was in my class in school. I remember what a great football player he was in high school. When he lived in Pioneer Point he lived just down the street from me. I remember him as a paper boy for awhile and he would always stop at my house and talk. I think of him often. What a wonderful friend he was to me and everyone he knew. He was really special. I will always miss him.