The Trona High School Alumni Message Board

All Things THS Alumni Related !

The Trona High School Alumni Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
looking toward the future of trona

Trona HS Alumni,

My name is Lindsey Foucht; currently, I am a 4th year landscape architecture student at California Polytechnic State University, in San Luis Obispo. As a frequent traveler to Death Valley, I often stop and consider the unique qualities of Trona - its dramatic landscape, the sometimes-vacant buildings, and massive scale of the mineral processing plant.

But as a student of designing space, I also have been thinking long and hard about how to understand the town in regards to possibly helping Trona move toward a future that is stable and desirable, while also respecting its recent and historical past.

At Cal Poly, we are required to work for the entirety of our 5th year on a senior project. In my case, I cannot think of a place I would rather focus on than Trona. So with your help, I'd like to take the first steps toward involving the entire community in planning the town's future.

For most of the month of June, I'm interested in moving to Trona and hope to participate with any interested people in considering the current state of the town, addressing problems within the area, and combining our ambitions to move toward generating possible solutions.

In addition to drawing the adult community of Trona together, I would also like to make a place for the younger voices to be heard. As you are all former students of Trona HS and can certainly rememer your younger years, I hope you all see the value of youth input.

In order to obtain the best information available, I'm looking to arrive in Trona on June 12th and depart after the first week of June. This is nearly one month of time. If anyone knows of spare a room available, or place to stay for this period of time, I'd be willing to pay for my share of rent and utilities while I'm in town.

Finally, if any other members of the community who would be interested helping out please feel free to forward them this text.

If anything I've said has been of interest to you, please do not hesitate to write or call after 4pm weekdays. I'd love to begin as soon as I can.

Lindsey Foucht
Cal Poly Landscape Architecture Student
831-809-7670
lfoucht@calpoly.edu

Re: looking toward the future of trona

Dear Lindsey, my husband has a fairly nice furnished house in Trona that is currently empty. If you would be interested in staying there during your time in Trona contact us at jtanker1@san.rr.com and maybe we can work something out. The rent is cheap so you could handle by yourself.