Return to Website

Hagstrom - Cult Guitars - A UK based Appreciation!

Questions and Answers (hopefully) about the great Hagstrom Guitar brand.

KEEP IT RELEVANT, CLEAN AND FRIENDLY, ALSO PLEASE DON'T SIMPLY USE THE SITE TO ADVERTISE APART FROM SELLING SPECIFIC RELATED GEAR. (SADLY, OFFENDERS MAY HAVE TO BE BLOCKED) - apart from all that - Have fun!

From 2014: Due to costs of keeping this forum unlimited, in future, please use Facebook Groups such as:
Hagstrom Sweden https://www.facebook.com/groups/7752406742/?bookmark_t=group#!/groups/7752406742/
or Hagstrom Vintage Guitars https://www.facebook.com/groups/7752406742/?bookmark_t=group#!/groups/132675620130383/?bookmark_t=group

Forum: Hagstrom - Cult Swedish Guitars - A UK based Appreciation!
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Refretting a "resinator" fretboard

OOh-er, OK, I dig them, great headstocks, just never been allowed to play one when we've seen them at shows, which was a bit odd. Nothing lost though, and I'm sure you enjoy yours. Why are you refetting it though?

(jeez here I am talking about them in the wrong section **** it - I'll have to ban myself at this rate )

It's actually a very well built guitar and now that I've replaced the stock pickups,it's become my favorite guitar. if the original Viking is as good as many say it was, the replica has done it justice.

I foresee having to refret in a year or so, based on the amount of gigging and practice I do. I'd hate to find out that a fret job is a major undertaking with dubious results.

I hope you get a chance to play one. A truly good value.

Email  

It's an interesting question. There are a lot of new fretboard materials being used now. I think the New Hagstroms' is some kind of pressed wood composite. I've heard that Parkers and Steinbergers use carbon/epoxy that is prone to chipping. But maybe Hagstrom started it all back in the 50s with the resin fretboards on the P46. I wonder what it's like to refret one of those?

Email  

Thankfully they also had stainless steel frets. But after 50 years even they could get worn if used enough. The answer according to a couple of people in Alvdalen a few years back...

inte omöjligt men inte lätt

(not impossible but not easy)
Google translate

Interesting thread, enjoying the banter. Some good points, all around. And a couple of good characters, too.

loumur, not be put off by mere sardonic wit on his quest for wit. Tenacity, grasping for answers while dodging percieved jabs to proclaim late in the game that dammit his CE Hag is his favorite guitar!

loumur, I hope that you stick around the forum. Wrong about the persona no grata comment, IMHO.

And how about park, coming outta nowhere with the 50's P46 composite fretboard reference - didn't see that coming!

loumur, being that David (H.u.k.) has implicitly endorsed throwing convention out the window, I am curious about which model Viking. Is it the VII, Viking, or the tremar Viking? Why the pickup change, and to what pups? Refret in a year or so, wow that is a lot of playing. What guage strings are you using?

If you really dig your Viking, it is worth your while to drop in and learn about the vintage models as well. You just may be convinced to take the vintage plunge, there are many good reasons starting with the fact of how darn well these reasonably priced instruments hold up, if you play out you can depend on a Hag. I get out every once in a while and other players love 'em when they try 'em.

The Resinator fret board can be refretted and treated the same way Ebony or Rosewood is treated. Frets should never be pulled directly out the fretboard, or this will cause cracking. Heating the frets using a soldering iron and a few drops of water around the fret help to safely remove the frets.

Resinator material should also be oiled in periodically just like ebony or rosewood.

Email  

Never been allowed to play one?

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Blogs   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains