Return to Website

Hagstrom - Cult Guitars - A UK based Appreciation!

Questions and Answers (hopefully) about the great Hagstrom Guitar brand.

KEEP IT RELEVANT, CLEAN AND FRIENDLY, ALSO PLEASE DON'T SIMPLY USE THE SITE TO ADVERTISE APART FROM SELLING SPECIFIC RELATED GEAR. (SADLY, OFFENDERS MAY HAVE TO BE BLOCKED) - apart from all that - Have fun!

From 2014: Due to costs of keeping this forum unlimited, in future, please use Facebook Groups such as:
Hagstrom Sweden https://www.facebook.com/groups/7752406742/?bookmark_t=group#!/groups/7752406742/
or Hagstrom Vintage Guitars https://www.facebook.com/groups/7752406742/?bookmark_t=group#!/groups/132675620130383/?bookmark_t=group

Hagstrom - Cult Swedish Guitars - A UK based Appreciation!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
info on some Hagstrom III's?

i've got a number of late-60s Hagstrom III guitars here, wondering if i might be able to get some more specific info on them as far as manufacture dates, etc... any help would be much appreciated!

here's a pic of the bunch of them, followed with a short description and serial number...

- the top one (black, white switches) is in excellent condition, really pretty remarkable for its age. with original case, both with that "like new" feel to them. serial number 677244.

- the next one down (black, black switches) is in very nice shape as well, though not quite as nice as the one above it. original case, with tiger-stripe lining. serial number 675210.

- the third one is an oddity. at some point the finish was completely stripped, then stained and varnished. they used a darker stain on the outer body contour, which accentuates the shape and looks pretty interesting i guess. they added a molded plastic "Hagstrom" logo from an older model on the headstock. a few things that i noticed... the body certainly appears to be made from a single cut of wood, where as the others are made up of several. anyone know how often they made one-piece bodies? i'm guessing maybe just for sunbursts? i can't really see any sign of a previous color on the inside of it, no idea what it was originally. also, different from the others, this one has a thin metal shield applied to the back of the pickguard. i originally thought that maybe this was done after the fact (maybe when they were redoing everything else), but it looks like a really clean original/factory job. did they start using this shielding later on? the capacitor is definitely different from the others as well. maybe this is started out as one of those early 70s transition models? the serial number on the neckplate is 764068.

- the bottom one is pretty unfortunate... besides being in generally rough (but comfy) condition, it's been a bit "customized". the tuning heads have been replaced with black Gotoh types, and they blacked out the chrome pickup rings for some reason. i don't know if they used flat black spray paint or what, but i guess they did a decent job of it. haven't looked into options as far as having them re-plated. sadly, they drilled and enlarged the holes in the headstock for the new tuners, so there's no good way to get it back to stock. oddly enough, this one is probably my favorite one to play out of the four of them. serial number 653334.

Re: info on some Hagstrom III's?

here's a pic of the wiring and shielding on the back of the pickguard...

Re: info on some Hagstrom III's?

Hi, Hagstrom III's are cool guitars. It was also my first Hagstrom.
Batch 677, 1966 999 piece made
Batch 675, also 1966, 1001 pieces made
Batch,764, 1969 mmhh thats a special batch, only 100 pieces made. Normaly, the wood is the kinda furniture wood, with several pieces of wood clued together. I don't know more about this batch, but the logo is an original Hag part and maybe special for this batch..?? just guessing
Batch 653, 1965-66, again 1001 pieces. Because of your number probably 1965.
In 1966/67 most guitars were made at the Hagstrom factories. About 15000..still nothing compared to F......
Cool guitars. But if you ever find a AUTOMATIC, look out, 'cause that is a real beauty, and a great player (only 200 made)