Return to Website

Hagstrom - Cult Guitars - A UK based Appreciation!

Questions and Answers (hopefully) about the great Hagstrom Guitar brand.

KEEP IT RELEVANT, CLEAN AND FRIENDLY, ALSO PLEASE DON'T SIMPLY USE THE SITE TO ADVERTISE APART FROM SELLING SPECIFIC RELATED GEAR. (SADLY, OFFENDERS MAY HAVE TO BE BLOCKED) - apart from all that - Have fun!

From 2014: Due to costs of keeping this forum unlimited, in future, please use Facebook Groups such as:
Hagstrom Sweden https://www.facebook.com/groups/7752406742/?bookmark_t=group#!/groups/7752406742/
or Hagstrom Vintage Guitars https://www.facebook.com/groups/7752406742/?bookmark_t=group#!/groups/132675620130383/?bookmark_t=group

Parts and Technical Information
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Removing neck from vintage Viking I to reset angle/shim?

Hi wondered if anyone could help. I have a Viking I from the 731 batch, it's in pretty good shape (was apparently on the wall of a restaurant for the last 20 years unplayed) but I need to do something about the neck angle on the higher frets as I can't get the action down (have adjusted truss as far as possible).

Are these necks glued in as well as being bolt on?

I took out the screws but the neck did not want to budge. There are some lacquer chips around the neck pocket which make me think someone has tried to do this before and possibly abandoned it.

If I could just get a small shim in this guitar I'm sure it would play perfectly (rather than just well).

Thanks... Jon

Re: Removing neck from vintage Viking I to reset angle/shim?

The necks are not glued,screws only.I have a 1967 Viking I.I've taken the neck off mine.The fit is quite snug,but the neck comes off easily.Mine has no problem as far as adjusting the string height.It's actually quite low and it plays great.There are no shims in the neck pocket.You shouldn't have any problem setting the action up properly unless someone did something to the guitar to mess it up in some way.Maybe some boneheaded past owner actually glued the neck on!Without being able to see the guitar,it's hard to say what the problem might be.

Re: Removing neck from vintage Viking I to reset angle/shim?

Hi Steve, thanks very much for your input. Turns out i was just being over cautious... Neck removed safely (with some worrying creaking) but now I've been able to shim the neck and get it set up almost perfectly. The shim should allow me to loosen the truss a bit (which i had to to tighten quite a lot as the guitar hadn't been played in 20 years)and lower the action right down. Without having done this it's already playing beautifully though. Don't know much about the pickups on these but it's sounding amazing too. Thanks!