Return to Website

Debby K's Message Board

This is a forum in which to discuss the fan fiction stories found on Debby K's site. You are invited to talk about previous stories or new ones.

Debby K's Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
quick question...

I love your stuff, Debby. :) This is my second read through, actually. I was just wondering, though... Up through the first part of the 20th century, it was standard for little boys and little girls to be dressed alike and have long hair until about the age of four. It wasn't high fashion or anything, it just kind of *was* that way. It's why there are so many photographs of "girls" from this era and earlier. The way you could tell was usually by accessories, trim on the dresses, and what they were holding. My guess is that all kids were "it"s until breeching. In my reading, I've found claims that it was for practical potty training purposes, because there were just so many buttons and such to handle on trousers, skeleton suits, and the like. It just hit me reading Silence, that nobody would've made a big deal of Josef's hair, and Michaela would've ordered a dress instead of a suit. It's weird to our modern eyes, but that's just the way it was. My thought is that the whole reason why they had Katie in the series was so they wouldn't have to explain a boy in a dress!

Re: quick question...

Hi, Laura.

I appreciate the observations. You know that Michaela and Sully would do things somewhat unconventionally.

Thanks for continuing to read my stories and for you insight about children's attire.

All the best,
Debby K