​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A question for Julie regarding your celebrity photographs...

Hi Julie...

I can think of a lot of questions I'd like to ask and would like for you to share your answers, but I'll just start with one...Do you have any specific memories, such as humourous or noteworthy, of conversations with the many stars that you photographed?.....Thanks...Ginger

Re: A question for Julie regarding your celebrity photographs...

Ginger,

I remember Marlene Dietrich strolling down Fifth Avenue around 1944 during wartime. My friends and I approached her and politely asked for autographs. After she signed our books, she dug into her handbag and pulled out a pack of cigarettes. She removed them, one at a time, turned them lengthwise, pressed her lipstick imprint on them, and handed them to each of us for souvenirs. We thanked her over and over. As she went on her way, she held up her hand and made the "V for Victory" sign.

Another memory: Red Skelton had just crossed the street from Central Park to the Sherry-Netherland Hotel where we were standing. It was a very warm summer day and he was holding an ice cream pop. I remarked that the ice cream looked nice and cold. He offered me a bite and I took it.

Julie

Re: Re: A question for Julie regarding your celebrity photographs...

Julie... those are two great little stories. I can very clearly envision Marlene Dietrich "kissing " those cigarettes and giving them to you and your friends, then giving the V sign.. what a classy thing to do.

What a "cool" thing for Red Skelton to do!

If you think of anymore, please share them!!

Thanks for your memories!

Julie, Bob and I both enjoyed hearing your memories
of Marlene Dietrich and Red Skelton. Ginger's Bob and my Bob went to see a show in Branson, with a man
impersonating Red Skelton last year. He was very good.
Thanks for sharing your memories with us.
Billie

Julie: Did you have a chance to see the film on Marlene Dietrich that was done by her son? I saw it in Philadelphia about a year ago or so. It was very interesting, going into her early years in Europe, her war years here, and with some very nice home movies.

After the movie, her son spoke to us and told us that his mother was an excellent cook, and that cooking was her favorite thing to do (other than romances, I guess, which, fortunately, nobody in the audience asked about, and which I wanted desperatively to. But I behaved myself.

Re: A question for Julie regarding your celebrity photographs...

Julie: Of course, I meant Marlene Dietrich's GRANDSON...Maria Riva's son.

Re: Re: Re: A question for Julie regarding your celebrity photographs...

Hello Billie and Bob,

You're very welcome. It was fun to travel back in time when fans with pens and cameras were respectful and celebrities didn't need bodyguards for protection.

I'm glad that impersonators are out there reviving the comedic brilliance of oldtimers like dear Red Skelton.

Julie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Julie, Bob and I both enjoyed hearing your memories
of Marlene Dietrich and Red Skelton. Ginger's Bob and my Bob went to see a show in Branson, with a man
impersonating Red Skelton last year. He was very good.
Thanks for sharing your memories with us.
Billie

Gloria, thanks for such interesting information. No, I haven't seen Dietrich's grandson's film and will definitely hunt for a copy. I also want to read his mother's book, "Marlene Dietrich, By Her Daughter, Maria Riva." I heard that's excellent too.

Julie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Julie: Of course, I meant Marlene Dietrich's GRANDSON...Maria Riva's son.