​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Susan in "old" age.

Here's something I've been debating (with myself). Leaving aside the fact that Susan was known to have liked her liquor, what kind of oldster do you think she would have been? Would we have heard bot mots like Bette Davis's "Growing old ain't for sissies" or would she have been more private a person.

We know that, publicity aside, she did not come forth on her own to state her opinions when young, but would age have changed that? Would she -- like many other celebrities -- have figured, hey, why not say what I think? I'm too old to worry about the consequences.

I'd be interested in your opinion on this, and why you think the way you do.

Re: Susan in "old" age.

Of course,I meant "bon" mots,not "bot" mots. That's what happens when your mind goes faster than your fingers.

Re: Susan in "old" age.

Gloria - I will venture an opinion, but I sense that it will probably be flawed, mainly because it is very difficult, even when engaged in mere speculation, to cross genders mentally and emotionally, as males and females tend to be quite different with this factor.

Thus going on MY approach to old age, ( not there yet, but we 1960's survivors had a VERY hectic youth so it won't be too far off - LOL,) whereas brashness is associated with being young customarily, I am far more outspoken now than when I was youthful - I could'nt care less what people think anymore ( it once mattered greatly), I won't suffer fools gladly any more, regardless of their capacity to benefit me etc.

So to attempt to extrapolate these and other personality changes as I age, then I would say that Susan would have probably been a font of 'bon mots' but I feel that her intrinsic need for space and privacy and time away from the public eye, would have produced a woman who continued to act but would choose her roles carefully, and would prefer to not work than take a part that she felt demeaning merely to still be on screen.

I still enjoy a drink as well, but very much milder and in less quantities than the halycon days of immortal youth - but have you noticed that many of the originators of the classic and unbeatable bon mots were heavy drinking women - ie Dorothy Parker, Tallulah Bankhead, Bette Davis and others ? So possibly Susan's predeliction for the effects of liquor, may have boosted the chances of her uttering many wry and cutting epithets as she progressed into old age. ??

Kerry

Re: Re: Susan in "old" age.

This is a good subject...but one we can only wonder about...and I'm really glad you brought this up. I have often wondered about this....

Let me say that for myself, being in this business for many, many years, and knowing how many heartaches, ups and downs that it carries with it, I have always thought that Susan would have had enough, in her later years....and that she would have been a wonderful grandmother and her attentions would have been for them and her boys family lives, rather than work in this crazy business anymore.

I may be wrong....but I always thought that these things would have been the most important things to her, in the golden years.

The fierce competition that can accompany this business...I think she would have lost and that she would not find much happiness in playing the older and sometimes unattractive roles that you see the great stars of yesterday, accepting, just to stay in the business. I don't see Susan as being one of them.

I wish she could have been around to be part of her grandchildren's lives. I think she would have been quite a splendid person with them...and it may have mellowed her from the drinking.

I think she would also be proud of Tim and his fight with this disease. We never got to talk much about it, Tim and I, but I've been there and know how hard it is and how we must fight and take it a day at a time. Susan was very strong...I KNOW she, too, could have beat this disease and I would have loved to have seen that happen in her life.

Re: Re: Re: Susan in "old" age.

Hi, Kerry and Errol. Thanks for your input. I know it's only speculation, but it's interesting to speculate on this, don't you agree?

Much as I usually agree with you, Errol, I don't know that Susan would have been an active grandmother. I never got the feeling that she was really that into kids. But I could be wrong.

Anyhoo, thanks for your thoughts.

Re: Re: Susan in "old" age.

Kerry: I don't know if Susan would have been as forthcoming as some of the others you mentioned, such as Bette Davis and Tallu. Those two were pretty outspoken even when young!

Incidentally, did you ever see the play called "Tallulah" with Kathleen Turner? It didn't last too long in NYC so it may not have travelled across any oceans.

Turner didn't have to put on Tallulah's husky voice as she had a cold. Matter of fact, I was in the first row and when she sneezed, I was afraid of catching it!

Re: Re: Re: Susan in "old" age.

Here indeed Gloria is another example of the 'tyranny of distance'. No I don't think it ever played down here. I am constantly puzzled by the often eclectic selection of live theatre that finds its way here after Broadway ( or off Broadway) runs in the U.S.at times.

Obviously, major plays in the vein of "The Producers", "Phantom of the Opera", "Cats" "Lion King" and so forth will all feature here, albeit with an Australian cast usually. But of course many marvellous works don't.
Otoh we have had some interesting theatrical productions play here that were not a huge success in N.Y. or London when they ran, and occasionally we get the main star who will travel here with the production ?? Who knows ?

But I do envy you your front row seat at the doubly husky Turner / Tallulah feature - despite risks of viral contamination.

Incidentally, I read a while back that Dame Edna on his / her current tour was going gangbusters in N.Y. and rating hugely - may even have collected (or been nominated for) a Tony ?
Clearly, New Yorkers have also discovered the joys of masochism and being sent up unmercifully by the Dame's barbed tongue ?

Kerry

Re: Re: Re: Re: Susan in "old" age.

I don't know if I could speculate on Susan in her golden years but I know I would like to think of Errol's version as how she would be. We all know of Susan's love of fishing and obviously Tim has inherited this. Maybe she would have gone to Montana or elsewhere with Tim and the grandchildren as in the pictures on site to enjoy this sport and to be with her family.

As to Gloria's original question I really don't know but it would have been wonderful for her to have enjoyed more years on this earth as a healthy, happy lady. She has given so much to us all it would have been nice for her to have had prime time for herself.

Trish

Re: Re: Re: Re: Susan in "old" age.

Hi, Kerry. I just saw your posting relating to Talu. You may not have seen this Kathleen Turner rendition as I'm not sure it even lasted on Broadway!

As to the Great Dame, I have seen his/her previous show, The Royal Tour, and I would love to see the latest offering. I understand it's doing big business on the Great White Way, and I am definitely a fan. So one of these days...

Incidentally, nobody else seems to know. Maybe you do: What happened to the Dame's silent buddy, Madge? Did she die, or was her frumpiness no longer welcomed by the gloriously attired Dame?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Susan in "old" age.

Gloria - unfortunately I have not seen the Dame live since ooh maybe late 70's, and was consequently unaware that Madge Allsop, her much maligned bridesmaid may no longer be with her ?

The last I heard - her husband Norm had passed on (after suffering from a "rumbling prostate" for years".
Daughter Valmai was in shoplifters rehab.
Sons Bruce and Kenny are wildly gay but the Dame shows no evidence of being aware of the possibility
and her mother was in a maximum security twilight home.

As far as I knew, Madge (whom Edna described as " a human maggot, held together by bacteria and fuelled by Valium") was still suffering the torments of the ****ed from her harsh friend.

Admittedly, in what passes for the real world - Madge was played by actress Emily Perry who was an octagenarian when she first appeared with the Dame, so would be well over 90 now, thus she may well have passed on and Edna would probably not replace her, or indeed may have retired.

Kerry