​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Co-stars who look like the stars they appear with (sorry to end with a preposition).

I was watching Stolen Hours for about the 35th time the other day and, during the car ride, when Susan is driving her sister, Diane Baker, home from the airport, I found myself not listening to the dialogue (after all, by this time I can recite most of it from memory), but at their faces.

Susan is a redhead with a turned-up nose. Diane is a brunette with a straighter nose. Susan is more buxom than Diane (hey, I'm a woman. I notice these things, okay?).

So here's the question: can you recall any "teams" of actresses -- or actors -- who were supposed to be related as sisters/brothers/parents/children who actually looked alike? They don't have to be 100%identical, but how about at least some commonalities?

I await your answers with pleasure, because I can't think of any.

Re: Co-stars who look like the stars they appear with (sorry to end with a preposition).

The first two who come to mind are Arlene Dahl and Rhonda Fleming. They played sisters to great effect in one film, the name of which escapes me. I think one of them mentioned once that since they were often taken for each other, it was appropriate that they finally seal the deal by playing sisters.

Re: Co-stars who look like the stars they appear with (sorry to end with a preposition).

Anguish, angst and agony Gloria - good question upon which I am drawing a blank.

I am endeavouring to recollect the type of casting that made the viewer readily believe that two characters were definitely related.

I did think that when Susan played Paulette Goddard's sister in "Reap the Wild Wind" that the two ladies were quite similar in many shots.

Getting more superficial here - but Vera Miles and Janet Leigh as sisters in "Psycho" were vaguely alike ?

I shall work on this one - hopefully in the meantime, someone will offer up oodles of examples.

Kerry

Re: Re: Co-stars who look like the stars they appear with (sorry to end with a preposition).

A very recent addition to the cinema stakes, but in Oliver Stone's "Alexander" the youth who played the teenage Alexander, one Connor Paolo, bore such a striking resemblance to Colin Farrell who played the adult Alexander that I searched the credits after seeing it, on the assumption that they may have been related. They are not.

Although as far as I am aware they have not starred as relatives, would you think that Dana Andrews and Glenn Ford may have passed as cinematic brothers in the 40's ?

Kerry

Re: Re: Re: Co-stars who look like the stars they appear with (sorry to end with a preposition).

Jill,

I think the film to which you referred starring Arlene Dahl and Rhonda Fleming playing sisters was Slightly Scarlet which I enjoyed seeing back in the mid fifties.

Gloria,

The one who springs to mind immediately for me is little Carole Ann Campbell who, as we all know, played Susan as a child in I'll Cry Tomorrow. I always thought she was very well cast as a "look-alike".

Kerry,

I think you are right re Paulette Goddard and Susan looking similar occasionally - both in Reap The Wild Wind and also The Forest Rangers but and I am sure you will all agree, there was no comparison really as Susan's beauty and acting ability outshone every female in Hollywood! She seemed to have this magical aura surrounding her that drew us all and once a Susan Hayward fan, always a Susan Hayward fan.

I will put on my thinking cap for other look-alikes.

Trish

Re: Re: Re: Re: Co-stars who look like the stars they appear with (sorry to end with a preposition).

Jill, Kerry and Trish:

I knew you kids would come through! All of your look-alikes make sense to me. But keep going with this, will you? I think this is fascinating.

And Trish: Absolutely, positively, Susan had more appeal than Paulette Goddard, or anyone else for that matter.

Kerry: I knew, once you put that thinking cap on, you'd give us a goodie. Yes, I do believe there was a resemblance between Glenn Ford and Dana Andrews. And, of course, if Dana had ever been in a movie with his real brother, Steve Forrest, there would definitely have been a resemblance! (I don't believe they ever did appear in anything together, but maybe you experts know better.)

Keep it going. You're doing great. And maybe some of our other Hayward "groupies" on this site can come up with more.

Gloria

Re: Re: Re: Re: Co-stars who look like the stars they appear with (sorry to end with a preposition).

Thanks, Trish, for coming up with the title of that movie. It was a good one, too. Would love to see it again.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Co-stars who look like the stars they appear with (sorry to end with a prepositi

Julia Roberts & Kyra Sedgwick in "Something To Talk About" (1995).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Co-stars who look like the stars they appear with (sorry to end with a prepo

Blooeyz, I didn't see that movie but they do resemble each other. I noticed it a few weeks ago when I was watching Krya S in "Secondhand Lions."