​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WITH A SONG IN MY HEART

I am wondering if anybody else has the same thoughts as I do regarding Susan cutting her hair for this film.

Looking at photos available of Jane Froman during World War II, she wore her hair quite long so I just wondered WHY Susan decided to let her glorious crowning glory be cut for the role.

I think you will all be interested to see a picture of Jane which has just come into my possession and which I have forwarded on to Ginger, asking her to put on the site. It shows Jane (with quite long hair incidentally) on her electrically driven platform, singing to Lt. Sidney Gunner of Brooklyn, whom she has chosen to ride around with her as a climax to her act. Lt. Gunner is sitting atop the piano (just as Bob Wagner did) in the La Riviera nightclub scene in With a Song in My Heart.

Oh, what a movie and most of all WHAT A STAR!

Trish

Re: WITH A SONG IN MY HEART

Trish, I will check out the photo..thanks..

I actually liked Susan's hair "shorter" during With A Song In My Heart. I thought that length of hairstyle really flatterd her. I also liked her hair pulled up. She always looks so beautiful and actually very maternal when she had it that way.

I liked her hair longer when she was a young star, but when she was getting older, maybe about the time of Demetrius and the Gladiators or The Conqueror, I didn't like it long on her as much.. oh, heck.. just my thoughts... she always looked beautiful , no matter...and I thought she was especially beautiful in the photo with Nadia and Tim -- 1973, that was recently posted on his site. The internal beauty came through.

Speaking probably 'out of turn' again...but I thought the story was that Susan fought for them NOT to 'bob her hair'..>(as the article called it)...but after it was done for the film, she kept it that way for THE LUSTY MEN and liked it!

I...also..liked the look.

THE ONE PHOTO...I have never given away..and never will is a large blown up pic of Susan sitting on the marble step set-piece, from the film, in the red fringe gown from the "It's A Good Day" number. This picture was from that article, where she had said she was not for them cutting her hair, but that it had something to do with the 'style' of the present period..and not long, like Jane and Susan had both worn their hair, up until then.

Seems (to me)...that she wore it shorter in a lot of her films after that. So I guess she did like it!

MY MISTAKE...>I reread what I put on this...and it was not "IT'S A GOOD DAY" that she sang in the red fringe gown...It was "GET HAPPY"...and I realized my mistake, while writing the piece on WASIMH.

Sorry....

I realize nobody's taking a poll on hair length for Susan, but I too liked her hair shorter as she got older. I thought she looked smashing with that length hair in WASIMH. It's said that women look older with longer hair and we should keep it shorter as we age. Now I know Susan was still in her thirties when she made Song, but the shorter hair complemented her.

The longer hair was a good look for her in her twenties, and longer hair seemed to have been the fashion in the 1940s when Susan was in that age group.

Hey, what are we talking about here? The woman was gorgeous, no matter how she wore her hair!