​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"I'll Cry Tomorrow" on the Big Screen

Hi all:

Just found out that ICT will be shown at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art's Bing Theater on Tuesday, May 12 at 1 p.m. I had the great pleasure of seeing this film on the big screen about 10 year years ago and may try to see this screening. Unfortunately, it's a work day for me, but I may play hooky (don't tell anyone, okay?}

The Bing Theater matinees, which usually draw a crowd of retired people, feature vintage films that don't necessarily fit into the longer film programs occurring on Friday and Saturday evenings. Many times they show film gems that I really want to see but can't because of having to work.

I believe this is one of the first times Susan's films have been included in the matinee series, so I am really excited about it.

The impact of this film is always heightened by seeing it the way it was meant to be seen -- on a big screen. As much as I like DVD viewing, there is no replacing the theater-viewing experience. I remember specifically the first scene of Susan's in the dance number. Her entrance in the film is vibrant and startling and takes your breath away.

Will let you know if I attend.

Jill

Re:

I wish I could fly in to see that , Jill. I hope you get to go and give us a report!

Re: ICT screening

As they say in real estate - what counts is Location, Location, Location. You are immensely fortunate Jill, dwelling in that great city where so many of these rare events unfold.

I also agree 100% - utterly - there is no comparison with viewing a good movie on the big screen and via dvd.
Apart from the stunning vision aspect and the audio etc, the viewer gets into a different mindset when in a theatre. If you are at home or in someone's living room, you don't 'enter' the movie anywhere near as much.

Kerry

There are scant few movies on the big screen that I have seen starring Susan Hayward. The ones I can think of are: Back Street, Reap The Wild Wind ( remembered the sad demise of Drucilla after seeing this as a child...years before I became under the spell of Susan Hayward in films--others I remember are "I'd Climb The Highest Mountain" and "Where Love Has Gone"...that's about it. The big screen makes a big difference.

Seeing that "I'll Cry Tomorrow" is my most favorite movie, it would be great to see it on the big screen once again....I can still remember seeing it on the big screen at the World Theater in downtown St Paul, Minnesota. That is the best way to see and appreciate those wonderful Susan Hayward movies. Lucky you Jill, keep us inform if you can play hookie and make it a Susan Hayward Day. Good Show my dear!!!!

Re:

Thanks for the info. I will be there. This will be my first time seeing Susan on the big screen. Very excited. Do tickets need to be bought in advance?

Re: Re:

That is great, Christina. We want a report from you too! okay?...Maybe you and Jill will get to meet.

A good friend of mine informed me that "Ill Cry Tomorrow" will also be screened at a theater on Fairfax later this year as part of the Writers in Recovery Film Program. They just screened "Lost Weekend" last week and will have additional showings of other alcohol and drug related films through June. I have been asked to speak and take questions when they show Mom's film. I'll ask 'em to screen "Smash Up" in that series...she was that character...

PT/TB

This is one of the times when I really wish I was a resident of Los Angeles!

Tim: I would love to see you speak and take questions.

However, I am so fortunate to have seen the majority of Susan's films on the big screen - a lot of them many times over. You could just lose yourself in the story and action and just seeing Susan you knew you were watching the best in the business! I used to travel all over my area by bus to see Susan in films when I was a young teenager. I had to wait for only a few of her earlier ones to see on TV or to be copied on DVD.
There are definite advantages to being one of the "older" generation.

Happy viewing to everyone who can attend the showing.

Trish

I'll Cry Tomorrow is my favourite of Susan's films and just as Jill said, her entrance was spectacular and did take your breath away.

Hi Christina:

Tickets do not have to be bought in advance. It would be great if we could meet that day. I am still mulling over whether I can take off. Tuesdays are usually our busiest day, although lately we have been slow. So I will see.

Jill

Hi Tim:

Wish I could have seen "Lost Weekend." Can anyone attend these events? Would love to see "I'll Cry Tomorrow" when you are speaking. In a way I would be representing all those on this board who cannot attend.
Let me know if the general public can see the film.

Thanks.
Jill

Hi Jill,
Yes, let me know if you decide to go and we can meet. I would love that.

Christina

Jill, The information about the series is here:

http://recoveryarts.com/2009/04/13/wit-all-addiction-film-festival-features-reel-recovery-film-series/

I was in error - The Program is, Writers in Treatment...

PT/TB

Christina:

I am pretty sure I am going to attend the screening. Let me know if you want to meet me there, and we can arrange it.

Jill

I would love to meet you, Jill.

Christina:

It would be great to meet you there. Do you know where the Bing Theater is? It is in the courtyard area of the museum and you buy your ticket at the box office directly across from the theater. We could meet just outside where the tables are located. I plan to get there around noon. They usually open the doors a half hour before at 12:30. Or I could arrive earlier, so we can talk. Let me know what you think. We'll have to describe what we look like, so we will recognize each other. I am 6 feet 2 and will be wearing a long Granny dress. Ha. Ha. Just kidding.

Jill

I'll meet you at the tables at noon on Tuesday. Looking forward to it:)

Do you think we will be able to recognize each other? I know we will be the only ones under 80 ... but still.

Just in case -- I am blonde, 5'3. What about you?

I, too, am looking forward to meeting you and seeing the film. Great fun!

Hi Jill,
I'm 5'5" long, dark brown, wavy hair. I'll be wearing a red wonder woman belt.
See you there.
Christina