​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Susan Hayward Film of the Month/August/I Can Get It For You Wholesale

Other films of the month this year:

January - I Want To Live
February - With A Song In My Heart
March - The Fighting Seabees
April - My Foolish Heart
May - The President's Lady
June - Garden of Evil
July - Demetrius and the Gladiators

Re: Susan Hayward Film of the Month/August/I Can Get It For You Wholesale

This is one of my favorite Hayward films, since I think it parallels her life in some ways. The New York garment district background is as competitive as modeling and acting was for Susan. And, of course, being back in New York City must have been a special time for her.

I think the character she played was very close to Susan's as well. Tough, combative, competitive, and, yes, manipulative to get what she wants.

Although I thought the sudden "change" in Harriet's character at the end of the film was not quite believable, in Susan's case, I always thought there was a core of vulnerability and compassion that was believable.

One other note: I didn't think Dan Dailey right for the role, maybe because I didn't like him as a serious actor. Also, in the case of the Broadway show of ICGIFYW, Susan's character was a man!