​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MORE....THINGS WE MAY HAVE NOT KNOWN..ON SUSAN'S FILMS..>>

First off...to Gloria...on the Joan Collins for CLEOPATRA film. I had read the thing in a movie magazine
way back when they were trying to find the right person for the role. BUT...this thing has bothered me so bad, since you wrote in about it being ELIZABETH TAYLOR, that
Susan suggested, do the role, that I had to look it up..
and low and behold, you are right! I found the blurb in
the book..A STAR, IS A STAR, IS A STAR..

Since I was already there I did find some other interesting things mentioned in that part of the book. They are as follows:

The first title for STOLEN HOURS was to be called SUMMER FLIGHT...and that CHUBBY CHECKER spent a week with her, teaching her The Twist, for the party sequence in the film.

There was talk, around this time of Susan doing a tv movie...RAIN..(which was originally a film with JOAN CRAWFORD and later done by RITA HAYWORTH as MISS SADIE THOMPSON.) It said that this tv version was originally being taylored for MARILYN MONROE, but then they thought of SUSAN doing the role instead, but apparently nothing came of this project.

It also mentions that not only did they want Susan for the role in SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH...but also in...
NIGHT OF THE IGUANA. Both big Tennessee Williams plays being set for the big screen. So she refused both of these films.

AS TO THE REPORT ON..PLAYING "CLEOPATRA" I thought you might all get a kick out of the word for word writing, in this book..so here it is...(page 208)

Susan was WALTER WAGNER'S original choice to play the title role in his monumental and controversial "CLEOPATRA". 20TH Century Fox, on Wanger's urging, offered her the role. Susan was intrigued enough to talk it over with Eaton. Both agreed that she could handle the assignment, but was Susan Physically right for it? Clown ing around with a kerchief, she created an ersatz pharaonic headdress and paraded up and down before Chakley in their Carrollton living room. They enjoyed the laugh,but it was obvious to both Eaton and Susan that, although redheaded, delicate-boned CLAUDETTE COLBERT had pulled it off three decades before, today's moviegoers were no more willing to accept a redheaded Susan as Cleopatra than they were to accept her as Bortai the Tartar princess in Howqard Hughes's THE CONQUEROR.
Susan politely turned down Wanger's offer to play the Queen of the Nile, but she had a candidate of her own to suggest: "How about ELIZABETH TAYLOR?" Wanger thought that was not a bad idea at all.

Re: MORE....THINGS WE MAY HAVE NOT KNOWN..ON SUSAN'S FILMS..>>

Errol:

I had indeed read "A Star Is a Star Is a Star," so obviously that's where I picked up the info that Susan had recommended Liz Taylor for "Cleopatra."

I had also known about the original title for "Stolen Hours" being "Summer Flight." I'm glad they stuck with "Stolen Hours." And yes, I knew Chubby Checker from my hometown of Philadelphia had taught Susan the twist for that party sequence.

Now, my understanding of why that scene was taken out of the final cut was that it was thought the dance would date the film. However, they left something in which also dates the film. When Laura Pember is in the hospital and is visited by her sister, she's trying on wigs for after her surgery. Laura makes the comment when looking at one of the wigs, "This really IS the new frontier."

Considering that this was the name given to the presidency of John F. Kennedy in the early sixties, that line dates the film, too. But maybe they couldn't cut it without messing up the scene. My point is simply that they might as well have left Susan's twist in the film as well. I would love to have seen that, LOL.

It's amazing, isn't it, Errol, what we still find out about Susan Hayward, lo these many years later. She's truly the gift that keeps on giving!

Yes..Gloria...I had heard the same thing about THE TWIST
being something that would 'date' the film. But what is the difference? Look at the wild party scene in I WANT TO LIVE! and tell me..that...music and dance was not right out of the period. Of course that was a true story
but, at the time of the actual Barbara Graham trouble, would that beatnik-type jazz have been from the same time period...or...was that an error..and that music was from the period we were...then..living in (mid '50's)

I ask this, because I don't remember if the Barbara Graham trial and all, took place in the mid '50's or before then. If so...then they updated the music to the time when the movie was being made and not when the actual story was happening.

Just something that you might know..because I don't?

Errol and Gloria - interesting discussion. If I can insert a two cents worth of comment, - Errol you were wondering re the date of Barbara Graham's event and the aptness of that 'beatnik / jazz' style soundtrack ?

I think it was pretty spot on for suitability. The arrest / trial and execution ran between 1953 and 1955 which was certainly appropriate for that type of music being popular on the party circuit. But for complete veracity I suppose we should look at the party scene you mention.

I have not watched IWTL for years now, but I think the film starts in a bar with a full on jazz band which is flawless inclusion. But the party scene in question happens very soon afterwards and I presume the War is still on or just ending since many of the partygoers were sailors and soldiers in uniform.

When Susan does her solo party girl dance, I think the main accompanient was bongo drums and I'm honestly not sure whether they were a part of the Jazz era ??? Very much so the 'Beatnik' era, but since Kerouac only coined the term 'Beat Generation' in 1948, and the party happens before that..... ?

I guess that any music featured from 1950 onwards in scenes would be able to include beatnik and similar influences and still be error free, and if Bongo drums were popular in Jazz (or in the 'jazz / party crowd) before then then the music for the party scene was probably accurate. If not ?

Kerry

Kerry and Errol:

Yes, the trial and subsequent execution of Barbara Graham did take place between 1953 and 1955, so I do think the jazz played in the movie was appropriate for that period.

As to the bongo drums, Kerry, I think they became popular back in the forties due to the influence of Hispanic musicians, such as Desi Arnaz and other band leaders. Most likely, that was the decade when Barbara Graham was doing her partying, and so I do think the bongo drums were also appropriate when Susan did that solo dance to them.

Hope this helps clear things up for you, Errol.

Kerry and Errol:

Yes, the trial and subsequent execution of Barbara Graham did take place between 1953 and 1955, so I do think the jazz played in the movie was appropriate for that period.

As to the bongo drums, Kerry, I think they became popular back in the forties due to the influence of Hispanic musicians, such as Desi Arnaz and other band leaders. Most likely, that was the decade when Barbara Graham was doing her partying, and so I do think the bongo drums were also appropriate when Susan did that solo dance to them.

Hope this helps clear things up for you, Errol.

Thanks Gloria - it looks as though in the case of IWTL, they got the appropriateness of the soundtrack, spot on.
I had completely forgotten the influx of those Cuban / Salsa Latin influences on American music in the 40's. Yes quite strong. Desi Arnez as you say, and I guess Xavier Cugat and Dizzy Gillespie (as a home grown player) was basically the mover of what became known as Afro / Cuban Jazz back then.

Kerry