​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Books on Susan

I need help. I want to read some of the biographies on Susan. Could someone please tell me which ones I should get? Thank you in advance for your help!

Re: Books on Susan

You have certainly come to the right place with that question Paula.

I can recall a few to suggest, but there are regular posters on this board who will know virtually EVERY one written and doubtless, possess them as well, so what I have failed to recall, - someone will supply for you.

( The other thing is that while I can recall the titles, I may be shaky here and there on the authors so again, if I make any errors if someone could correct me for Paula's sake please.)

A STAR IS A STAR IS A STAR ( Christopher Anderson)

SUSAN HAYWARD : FILMS AND LIFE ( Kim Holston)

SUSAN HAYWARD ( Beverly Linet)
PORTRAIT OF A SURVIVOR ( Beverly Linet)

THE FILMS OF SUSAN HAYWARD ( Eduardo Moreno)

RED - THE TEMPESTUOUS LIFE OF SUSAN HAYWARD ( Robert Laguardia)

THE DIVINE BI*CH ( sorry, have forgotten the author)

Kerry

Hi, Paula --

IMO, Doug McLelland's "The Divine B...." is by far the best! (No gossip and scandalous remarks)

http://www.amazon.com/Susan-Hayward-Divine-Doug-McClelland/dp/0523002769

Take care,

Izzy

Thank you very much! I will be ordering books right away!
Paula

My favorite Susan books are "Portrait of a Survivor" by Bevery Linet and Eduardo Moreno's beautiful picture book of her films.

I must agree with Ginger..that "Portrait of a Survivor" is by far..the BEST..book I have ever read on Susan and I have read all of the ones mentioned.

I had not paid a lot of attention to my Susan Hayward interest for many years, and I found Portrait Of A Survivor in paperback. It must have been around 1983 or 1984. I couldn't put it down, and I had not realized how much she had suffered and endured during her last days. The book rekindled my interest. I couldn't put it out of my mind for a long time. I thought Linet did a good job of laying out a picture of Susan. In my mind's eye, it seemed fair and carefully written.

One never knows if what one reads is entirely factual or not, but I did get a sense that Linet had made a good effort on the bio. Regardless, it really touched me, and as I mentioned above, it was hard to forget. It really made an impression.

Ginger,

I have read them all and had spoke briefly with Beverly when she was preparing her book - Beverly was someone I worked with on numerous occasions when I was a Publicist.

None of the books even come close to revealing who my Mother was...emotionally, she was isolated.

PT/TB

"Susan Hayward: Divine ******** was the title of the first printing of McClelland's book, in 1973. The second printing, in August 1975, after Susan's death, was re-titled "The Complete Life Story of Susan Hayward...Immortal Screen Star."

Paula, if you will go to ebay you can buy all the books at a fraction of the retail cost.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I wanted to share about my great finds. I have amassed quite a collection of dvd's and books. I found great bargains with abe's. In fact I have a hardback copy of red autographed by the author, Robert La Guardia for $7. I have been sharing my new found knowledge with my friends. We were all amazed about the prenup and so many other things Susan seemed so far ahead of her time. I was so fascinated by her when I was young watching her movies on tv with my grandmother. I remember being confused why Greg Peck was disappointed Susan wasn't Ava Gardner in " Snows of Kilamanjaro". I thought sober up man this woman is much prettier! We really enjoyed Rawhide and were on the edge of our seats. I had never seen that movie. I have over 20 movies and 5 books so I'll be busy for a while. Thank you again for all your help!