​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SUSAN...AND HER LIGHTER ROLES IN FILM...

We all know that Susan was more or less 'placed' into drama roles, which she truly excelled in..but if you want to see a 'lighter' side of Susan films, check out the following:

YOUNG AND WILLING..with William Holden
SIS HOPKINS........with Judy Canova
I MARRIED A WITCH..with Fredric March..Veronica Lake
THE FORREST RANGERS with Fred Mac Murray..Paulette Goddard
TOP SECRET AFFAIR..with Kirk Douglas
(alas)THE MARRIAGE-GO-ROUND...with James Mason..Julie Newmar

Susan showed she could do 'it all'..if given the chance and out of these, my favorite are THE FORREST RANGERS and TOP SECRET AFFAIR.

I might also mention her one and only Broadway musical that she did in Las Vegas..."MAME"..which she did with 'gusto' in both comic timing and vocals.

She will always be known as a 'dramatic actress' and no one did it better than Susan in so many wonderful performances..but if you would like to check out (maybe again..since we are fans)..a lighter side, here are some of those wonderful films too.

Re: SUSAN...AND HER LIGHTER ROLES IN FILM...

Errol---

I am soooooo upset with myself----I just wrote you such a long, long post that it took me two hours to complete. And as I hit an ending emoticon--it disappeared. Just disappeared!

I had written you all about your question and Susan's humor---and really tried to make you laugh. I thought it out so carefully--and now it is gone! I'm so very sorry, but I just don't have the strength to even TRY to write it again now. In addition to the one funny film "Top Secret Affair" I had seen----I had talked about how much her humor seemed to come through in so many of her 'dramas' as well as commedies and how she was so special.

I wrote about so many scenes (from dramas that I remember--and and how the delivery of these lines (even unintentionally funny) could made me laugh.) And how there will never be another Susan. I'm so sorry, Errol. This long post was for YOU. And I don't know where it went.

Lynn

Yes...I know how that goes, Lynn, because I have had the same thing happen t me before...going to all that trouble to write something to someone, then have it all disappear..at the final moment! I hate it@@ But..thanks for the response and maybe 'another time'..it will work...

Errol, I watched The Honey Pot recently, and I think I appreciated it more than I ever had. To be honest, I decided to watch it again because of Maggie Smith (so taken with her Downton Abbey performance). It was very interesting seeing a younger Maggie, but I realized that Susan was very good in the film, and I thought she stole every scene in which she appeared...she had a darn good southern accent, and she was funny and beautiful of course

Lynn and Errol, maybe if you can remember to copy your post if it is especially long before you hit "post message", then i you lose it, you can just try again and copypaste...that said, I have done that so many times in emails, it's pathetic, ha, but actually, I don't think I have done it here...there's always tomorrow..ha

I just watched TOP SECRET AFFAIR for the first time and Susan just blew me away with her comedic skills. She was hysterically funny. I have not laughed so much in years.

I loved the diving board scene. What an acrobat, the way she drunkenly weaved all over that board which was about 2 stories high (turning round and round, standing up and sitting down, even hanging over the end) in her long evening gown with a drink in her hand, all the while talking to Kirk Douglas on the ground. What a performance!

Pat McGeorge

Pat, I wish Susan had done more comedy. I'll bet she was so wonderful at being MAME....wish I could have seen that! She was very cute in "Young and Willing" (which is another one that is on youtube).