​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Hairy Ape

Just to say that I've been feling somewhat under the weather these last few days, and so staying home and resting up. Well, today I watched--rewatched--The Hairy Ape. Hadn't sen it for years. Old style movie-making of course, but really a wonderful film. Susan at her most ******* yes; but also most glamorous--and a wonderful performance. She does her "bad girl" persona up to the hilt, but in many guises--expression, movement, the works. Even that early in her carer, such a fully rounded performance, and a commanding one--no one else could have fulfilled that role to that degree--though it's even more William Bendix's film nd he, too, gives a great performance. Some criticized it for not sticking to Eugene O'Neil's script and I'm sure that's true, but so what? That ony makes it more original--and possibly less tedious!

Re: The Hairy Ape

Hi, Bill

Sorry that you've not been feeling at your best, though a Susan Hayward film always works better than any over-the-counter analgesic I've tried! LOL!

But I found it interesting that you mentioned "The Hairy Ape", which I've had only one opportunity to watch on TV--and was really surprised how well Susan managed to play a role that could so easily have moved into the realms of over-acting, making it more a farce than a well thought-out film. (Though I think actresses like Bette Davis and Joan Crawford have given some 'eye-opening' performances during their careers---I can''t see them giving this particular part the nuance it needed!)

And I agree that William Bendix played HIS role at just the right balance. I thought he, too, was wonderful.

When you think of how early in her career Susan gave such depth to her role---not an easy one to keep from 'over-dramatizing'--she already had the tracings of an unusually natural and intuitive actress!

Hope you're feeling better, Bill--and remember that 'A spoonful of Susan helps the medicine go down'!! :-)

Take care,

Lynn

Re: The Hairy Ape

Hi Bill,

Hope you are feeling better, and glad you are here on the board with us.

I haven't seen "The Hairy Ape" in quite a while, but Susan is great in it...you love to hate her...same as Hester in "Adam Had Four Sons"...she's the best bad girl ever!