​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
These are a few of my favorite ... Stars

Here is a list of my 10 all-time favorite female stars -- the ones I never get tired of seeing. In no particular order, they are.

Susan Hayward (of course)
Barbara Stanwyck
Bette Davis
Joan Crawford
Ida Lupino
Marlene Dietrich
Judy Garland
Ava Gardner
Rita Hayworth
Vivien Leigh
and Marjorie Main (just kidding)

What does your list look like?

Jill

Re: These are a few of my favorite ... Stars

Interesting to see whom others here really, really enjoy. Mine (if you knew me you'd expect some unpredictableness--and some include performances both in cinema and television--not not just television). And in some caes, only some of the times--but when those times appear--I'm beguilded. No paticular order beyond the first two.

Susan Hayward
Mary Astor
Bette Davis
Piper Laurie
Barbara Standwyck
Claire Trevor
Olivia de Havilland
Ida Lupino
Angela Lansbury
Marlene Dietrich

Bill

Nice lists of favourite female stars, guys!

My own 10 favourite are :

-Susan Hayward
-Dorothy Malone
-Maureen O'Hara
-Lana Turner
-Micheline Presle
-Danielle Darrieux
-Gina Lollobrigida
-Dorothy Mc Guire
-Antonella Lualdi
-Jeanne Moreau

Susan is my all time favourite by far ... I like some of her Hollywood contemporaries too of course...Otherwise you also can see that I am from Europe :-)...and French and Italian stars are also favourites of mine....
Do you know them? they are big legendary names here in Europe of course!

Good topic, Jill--it's always fun to think back.

My list is a bit eclectic!! Not all on my list are there for their acting---some, I just enjoyed watching!

1. Susan Hayward gets my first place, but she was almost pushed out by....
2. Lassie!
3. Deborah Kerr
4. Barbara Stanwyck
5. Audrey Hepburn
6. Betty White (You GO, Girl!!)
7. Vivian Leigh
8. Elaine Stritch - (I met her once--she is VERY funny!)
9. Diane Keating
10 Diana Rigg
11 Helen Mirren
12 Katherine Hepburn (too 'mannered' for me--but I still always like watching
her!)

More on my list, like, Ingrid Bergman and other great Europeans, but I'll stop here!

Lynn

Jill, I love 5 of the ladies on your list... My list is going to look different because Susan is not at the top... sorry about that, but I am not going to deny it lol...

1. Rosalind Russell
2. Myrna Loy
3. Irene Dunne
4. Susan Hayward
5. Katharine Hepburn
6. Bette Davis
7. Olivia de Havilland
8. Elizabeth Taylor
9. Norma Shearer
10. Barbara Stanwyck

honesty is the best policy, Desiree!

It's hard to list 10 of them. I know I will leave some equally favorites out.

1. Susan Hayward
2. Vivien Leigh
3. Barbara Stanwyck
4. Lana Turner
5. Audrey Totter
6. Ida Lupino
7. Ann Sothern
8. Lizabeth Scott
9. Jean Harlow
10. Audrey Hepburn

I have lots of favorite character actress stars but that's for another list.

I love seeing Jean Harlow on your list, Ginger! She was a fascinating creature. I didn't like her at first because of her looks--too severe or something--but now I like her a lot. Also love Vivien Leigh and Ann Sothern a great deal.

This list is not in any particular order except of course for Susan (and Jennifer Jones)

1. SUSAN HAYWARD
2. JENNIFER JONES
3. YVONNE de CARLO
4. MARILYN MONROE
5. INGRID BERGMAN
6. RITA HAYWORTH (specifically for her dancing ability)
7. GRACE KELLY
8. GLORIA GRAHAME
9. ELEANOR PARKER
10, JULIA ROBERTS

I was very interested to read about all the other "Top Tens". I had to include Julia Roberts although she is the only "present-day" star worth mentioning!!

Yikes--I left out 'Ida Lupino' and 'Maggie Smith'--and they ARE two of my favorites!

And I spelled 'Diane Keaton' all wrong!!!

There are many actresses, who I've always enjoyed watching for their own specific characteristics. It's hard paring a list down!! And it's great fun reading all of yours'.

Thanks Trish for reminding me. I listed my ten favorites and of course I should have included Gloria Grahame among my eleven ten favorites!

Bill

I knew that paring down a list to only 10 would be difficult to do without leaving out people. In my case I had to leave off Eleanor Parker (a really great favorite of mine), Claire Trevor and Ingrid Bergman. However, I based the 10 on a visceral feeling of how often I watched and was intrigued by their films as opposed to loving maybe one of two of their films or only liking them in mediocre movies. Bette Davis, for example, appeared in so many superior films that I liked, she definitely had to be on my list.

I enjoyed reading all your picks and glad you agree with some of my choices.

Jill

Lynn:

I am a rabid fan of Elaine Stritch and absolutely envious of your meeting her. But of course Elaine is strictly a Broadway Baby not a movie star. That goes for Betty White (TV), too, whom I adore. But then you knew all this and just wanted to stir things up.

Philippe:

I like Maureen O'Hara as well. and am familiar with most of your choices, except for Micheline Presle (the name sounds vaguely familiar) and Antonella Lualdi.

Interesting that you should pick Dorothy McGuire. I used to see her in person a lot when I worked in a particular area of Los Angeles in the 1980s. I vowed the next time I saw her I would talk to her, but that never happened. She was just as slim and fit at that time as when she was young.

Jill

Desiree:

As I mentioned my list was in no particular order. I grew up with Barbara Stanwyck films, so she would have definitely topped my list. My mother introduced me to Stanwyck's movies when I was about 7 years old. No wonder I turned out the way I did -- just kidding. But truthfully her films weren't really appropriate for little kids.

I like to watch Norma Shearer movies because my mother was always told she looked like her. That got me interested, and I especially liked her in "Marie Antoinette" and "The Women."

Great list.

Jill

Trish:

Enjoyed reading your list, and as I mentioned, Eleanor Parker almost made my list but with a limit of 10, she didn't make the cut (ha. ha.).

One quibble -- your caveat about Rita Hayworth. She did do some fine acting in "Separate Tables" as well as "Miss Sadie Thompson," and "Gilda" wasn't too shabby, either.

Jill

Bill:

Glad we agreed on a few -- especially Marlene Dietrich. I discovered her work about eight years ago when a retrospective was done on her films. I was blown away. Also got to meet her grandson at one of these events.

I also like Mary Astor, though I didn't catch up with her work until much later. Piper Laurie I loved in "The Hustler." -- great performance.

Also like Olivia de Havilland -- and Joan Fontaine -- more so the latter because she seems to have more of a hard edge. If you've ever seen interviews with her, that edge is real.

Jill

Ginger:

Interesting list. Glad we agree on Stanwyck (whew!). Liked Harlow in "Dinner at Eight." Lana Turner almost made my list -- have seen a lot of her films, as well as Hepburn. As you said, it's really hard to pick just 10. I had thought about a top 20, but that's too easy.

Jill

YES, Jill.....

.......Nobody stirs a pot like I do--the ingredients are always 'on the boil' and do not always mix (ladies of movies vs. ladies of television). But, yes, I did cheat in this way..........yet, who could not help but notice that Lassie has performed in both genres, therefore making her an ingredient particularly rich with her flavorful bark!!

(Now, I wonder if our next list should be our favorites for their peculiar mannerisms........i.e., Marsha Hunt for her 'hank 'O hair', concealing heaven knows what! And so on.)

Can't believe I have another rabid Elaine Stritch fan to share her glorious insanity with!! Will tell you another time of the riotous--tho' short-- conversation we had back stage after her show in 2002, "At Liberty". What a woman!! But will save that for the General Board.

And, as for Betty White? She is tops on every list I have ever written, never mind what the list was for!! I have always loved her---possibly because she so resembles my Mom--no longer with us, but no doubt still laughing at her favorite 'Golden Girl'!

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's lists and was delightfully surprised by some!

Thanks, Jill, for a fun topic!

Lynn

Thank you, Jill. It took me a very long time to get into Barbara Stanwyck movies, actually. For some reason, I thought she was just "okay" when I saw her films. But I have a lot of friends who are big fans of hers... finally, I just started liking her more and more... not sure which movie did it for me... might have been Stella Dallas, which I saw in college for my Film Genres class. Anyway, I just love her attitude in her films... and she was beautiful and strong and a great actress. I also love Norma in Marie Antoinette although not that much in The Women. For me, the actress who catches my attention is forever Rosalind Russell, haha.

Desiree, I suprised myself with Jean Harlow...ha..but I do enjoy her films especially Dinner at Eight, and I haven't seen all of her films. She was from Kansas City, my town, which I thought was kind of interesting.

Jill, I love everything Barbara Stanwyck has done..pretty much. I should have had Ingrid Bergman on my list. She would have been 11 I guess.

Jean was hilarious in Dinner at Eight. She was also very funny in Libeled Lady :)

It has been a long time since I have seen Libeled Lady.. should watch it again.

For your information here is my list:

1. Susan Hayward
2. Susan Hayward
3. Susan Hayward
4. Susan Hayward
5. Susan Hayward
6. Susan Hayward
7. Susan Hayward
8. Susan Hayward
9. Susan Hayward
10. Susan Hayward

Nothing like being original.

RAY - I love your list!!

JILL - Regarding Rita Hayworth, I didn't mean that I didn't appreciate her acting as I have many of her films - especially love SADIE THOMPSON. I love Rita but I just ADORE her dancing. She could certainly move and there are wonderful snippets of her on Youtube.

TRISH

LOL @ Your list, Ray! Great list! :P

I stopped posting, on here, since I seem to 'annoy' people so much with my posts, but had to get in on this listing. Thanks, for starting this.

Here's my list...(no order except for SUSAN)...

SUSAN HAYWARD
BARBARA STANWYCK
INGRID BERGMAN
GLORIA GRAHAME
KIM NOVAK
ANGELA LANSBURY
BETTE DAVIS
JOAN CRAWFORD
IDA LUPINO
AUDREY HEPBURN

Thanks...for allowing me to 'share'...

Ray,
Ditto on your selections, #1 through #10. I've enjoyed other actresses
over the years in certain roles but for me there is only one actress
and star-SUSAN!

Errol: Welcome Back from your theatrical summer!!

I hope your summer of acting was full of all the fun and mayhem that can come only from the theater world! You will have to tell us about it!

I see that you and I share some special actresses in our lists. Keeping the list down to ten was excrutiating (and in fact, I didn't! I cheated and added more, whom I'd left out!!) And, as you can see from my Elaine Stritch and Betty White--I could barely stick to the topic!!!

Anyway, good to hear from you and hope your summer was everything you antcipated!

Lynn

Errol, that's a really great list... so many great actresses :)

Jill--

About Mary Astor. If you've never seen--and it goes back to 1936!--DODSWORTH, Astor's performance is outstanding, though it's Walter Huston's picture. Over 75 years old, it's still the most adult film I've ever seen.

When you make a list of only 10...you make it..and then think..WAIT! I forgot someone!! Which I did..and would have to 'add' two more wonderful actresses who I always enjoyed so very much...the wonderful..DEBORAH KERR and DORIS DAY. Miss Day proved she could do both musical comedy and dramatic roles with her 'LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME','MIDNIGHT LACE','YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN' and 'STORM WARNING'..and DEBORAH KERR was nominated more times for Best Actress, without a 'win' than any other actress, at that time and still remained so great in any role she did...from musicals to comedy to drama. She was usually up against SUSAN for Best Actress...and that was always a challenge, but of course, SUSAN will always be...THE WINNER!! ,,,,

Hey Errol, good to hear from you and welcome back to the forum.

Thank's to those that love my list. Don't get me wrong, I love the great divas of the golden screen....Bette, Joan, Barbara S. Vivien L. Eleanor Parker, to name a few, they are all great in their way,...but to me, Susan Hayward will always be a true Hollywood icon of the golden age of Hollywood.

Bill:

I have seen "Dodsworth" and agree with your comments. Mary Astor was wonderful in it, and the movie was quite a revelation to me and very advanced for its time. I remember almost not watching it, thinking it might not be that interesting. Was I ever wrong. And of course I got a new regard for Walter Huston's work.

Jill

Dodsworth is indeed a great film. I own it.

To all who liked 'Dodsworth', the movie:

I believe Sinclair Lewis was the author who wrote "Dodsworth" (which I am now very anxious to see!) And if you have not ever read the Lewis book "It Can't Happen Here", I very highly recommend it as a 'prediction' of the future of America, when both fascism and---(well--just think of some of America's startling changes HERE at THIS point in time) 'freedom and liberty' begin to come to a frightening impasse!!

"Dodsworth", the film---and "It Can't Happen Here', the Sinclair Lewis book, have mo similarities as far as I've heard (not having seen the 'Dodsworth' film yet nor read the book), but I really did want to mention how Lewis was an astounding writer of his day!! I highly recommend "It Can't Happen Here". I wondered if it COULD!!!

And I apologize if this note seems too 'political' (or 'off-topic!!). I'm not taking 'sides'--but I just wanted to note my respect for Lewis's prescient thinking.

(I guess this message belongs in 'General'--but then it would not relate to any direction of THIS topic!)

Anyway......and now it's off to find 'Dodsworth'!

Lynn

Jill:

It Can't Happen Here was also adapted by Lewis into a play. A movie was going to be produced by MGM, but Mayer cancelled it because Nazi Germany was unhappy with the idea and Hayes (he of the censorship) told Mayer that MGM would lose the German market if the picture was produced. So they dropped it.

But the Lewis book was very loosely adpted for a series that also didn't appear, but was produced as a single film titled Shadow On the Land. The IMBD description sounds very much like yours of the book

I guess you meant to direct your remarks about "Dodsworth" to Lynn.

Hi, Bill--

...and thanks for all the facts about "It Can't Happen Here"--and how Meyer 'wrung his hands' over the Lewis plot 'offending' the Nazi nation! I'd never read about that! Do you know the year? Actually, I can look that up myself, so don't go to the trouble!

Anyway, it says a lot about how cash overcame ideology! And how the 'studio system' could play a large part in politics!

Is the single film "Shadow on the Land" still available? I haven't read the IMBD description yet but will do so now!

If you haven't read Philip Roth's recent novel, "The Plot Against America", he, too, presents a chilling, ominous look at how slowly but insidiously, underhanded plans by enemies, (depending on America's willingness to follow those enemies who sought to change the 'American Way'), could have changed the tenor of our country faster than we imagine.

(If a film HAD been made at the time, I could easily see Susan, in her own independent way of following her beliefs--playing the role of a determined citizen who recognizes each subtle change in our country--and soon finds a way to prove what is taking place!)

Thanks again for the info, Bill!

Lynn

For Lynn, and sorry, Jill--

No, I don't know when Mayer caved in to the Nazis, but I was able to purchase a copy of Shadow On the Land from a very obscure rare-film Company and watched it last night. The quaity of the DVD was pretty bad, and the musical background accompaniment was apalling, but it was a fascinating movie. Very raw, very rugged, but it certainly made you think--particularly in the troubled times in this country in recent and present years. Jackie Cooper (!) in a very grown-up role, Gene Hackman (very early and not realy terribly good), John Forsythe--brilliant as a very evil guy, and the Canadian actor, Marc Strange is the main character, and a fine performance. Also, smaller roels for Janice Rule (very good) and Carol Lynley (adequate).

If you want to find it, go to: www.RareDVDs.Biz

Best,

Bill

Hi, Bill,

Thanks so much for the information about 'Shadow On the Land'. I shall have to call up the Site you've just given me. Sounds like a film I would very much like to see--even with all its flaws.

Makes me think how lucky we are that at least SOME of the old films were saved and 'revived' from the poor way film was kept in those days. Sounds like 'Shadow On the Land' is a perfect candidate, if it is still possible to bring back the quality of the film.

My sister watched some older movie from the 1930's, when there was not yet the realization that careful storage was so important for preservation. And, she said the actors in the movie were just 'ghosts' whom you could practically see right through. She showed me a few minutes of it---and I could not believe how the people and the objects in the room looked like 'negatives'!!

Anyway, thanks for your research on the 'Shadow On the Land'---I hate to see the demise of movies with themes that depict the political and economic realities of their time. These are part of our history.

Lynn