​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: THE NEW PHOTO...ON MESSAGE BOARD..

Errol--

I tell you though--I'd give a cookie to see Tallulah's screen test for Margo! (though of cousre it was Anne Baxter--among others--who said that Tallulah was a great female inpersonator!)

Bill...I agree...Would have loved to see Tallullah's screen test and I'll bet it was darn good...since the Margo role..was said to have been based on 'her' in the first place.

I also read that 'this' was the reason she didn't want to do the film. It was too close to 'home' in the story line. In fact, she herself, brings this up in this book, when interviewed over the fact that it was based on her life. She said that YES...it was true...that DAVIS had copied her as close as possible, even to the way she wore her hair, the low-cut V in the gown she wore at the party..on and on..even trying to 'copy' her voice at times.

BUT...in the long run, she said she 'voted' for Bette to do the role and thought she did it 'so-so'.

NOW..this we both would have loved!! In October 1952...Tallullah DID do Margo Channing on the NBC THEATER GUILD RADIO SHOW in a one hour version of 'ALL ABOUT EVE". Boy...do I wish I could find a copy of that show.

It just may be in the radio show club that I belong to. I will look and let you know if it is there, because this club does have some shows from that program.....

Errol--

Oh, some of those old radio and even early TV shows. I admit they can be disppointing i'm a great Mary Astor fan but her Sunset Boulevard was o.k. but only so-so. But Claire Trevor performed in a Dodsworth for which she won an award (as Fran not in the Mary Astor role) and I would dearly love to see that some day. And when they did a rado show of Hold Back the Dawn, I wish Susan had played the Paulette Goddard role (which she'd wanted in the first place) and instead she played the Olivia de Havilland part--o.k, but no more. (I think it wa a superb movie, and Goddard did give one of her finest performances, though).

Are there any "missing" Susan performances on radio or TVV?

Bill

Bill...I was listening to some old radio shows last night> It was the ESCAPE series with WILLIAM CONRAD and they always had ads on that show of upcoming radio plays for LUX RADIO THEATER, which was my favorite of the ones they used to have on...with one hour plays of 'new films'. (Isn't that where SUSAN did 'HOLD BACK THE DAWN">?

ANYWAY,..I was surprised when they announced LUX for that week. The radio 1 hr version on THE PRESIDENT'S LADY and it was starring CHARLTON HESTON and JOAN FONTAINE, instead of SUSAN. I'm sure it was not as good as Susan's performance.

I know that Susan did LUX version of MY FOOLISH HEART and I used to have that one on reel-to-reel tape. (they did it in the early 60's), but I don't have that any longer.

I have two that Susan did from the SUSPENSE series....(a half hour show each week) and they were both good. One is 'DAME FORTUNE' and the other is DEATH IS FOR THE LIVING..(the latter appears in two different titles and I can't remember what the other title was.)

I know with LUX THEATER they usually 'tried' to get both stars from the films to appear, but after CECIL B. DE MILLE was no longer the host, that sort of changed.

I do love the old radio shows...and it keeps me awake most of the night, if I put these things on. They had some wonderful shows that many people, later on, will never know what they missed out on. It made you use your imagination..and you didn't have all the 'blood and gore' that is now put out. Like reading books..it gave YOU your own 'visual' of what was going on and how people looked. I miss those days...and shows sometimes...