​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SUSAN..CO-STAR...DIES....AUDREY TOTTER...

Errol (and Kerry), thank you so much for informing us about Audrey Totter. I had not heard. Yes, I had a homepage on her for many years until it was deleted when geocities stopped hosting. She was a lovely person. I corresponded with her a little. I have a couple of notes from her that she had sent me.

From what I recall, she spoke well of Susan, and I think they had a mutual respect.

I always thought she was underrated in films. She was really wonderful in "Tension" and " Lady in the Lake." ...and many others. I feel saddened, but I knew she was really getting along in years.

She pretty much bowed out of films (I remember she had a small role in The Carpetbaggers later), when she married her husband who was a doctor. They had one daughter, Mea whom she seemed close to.

She told me that it was a special time in her life when she was making films.

Rest in peace, Audrey Totter, and thank you. Her birthday would have been Dec. 20.

Here is the LA Times news article...copy paste the address or click the website url below.

http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me-passings-20131214,0,7065147.story#axzz2nZBKsQjB

Ginger...this is happening so very fast!!
I just found out that TWO more of Hollywood's top actors has also died within the last day.
PETER O'TOOLE and now...JOAN FONTAINE.
Also...TOM LAUGHLIN who many might not remember, but he is in the guy flying the plane that takes JOHN KERR to the island in SOUTH PACIFIC and then went on to do all the "BILLY JACK" movies.

My biggest fear is still hearing this news from two other actresses who are getting up in years...DORIS DAY and KIM NOVAK. I know Doris has not been too well, but haven't heard anything about Kim for quite sometime now.

Our 'classic stars'..seem to be fading away...very fast.

Errol, yes there have been so many within a short period of time. I thought about Olivia de Havilland when I saw Joan's photo. Olivia is in her 90's also.

Errol-

I still think of Audrey Totter as she looked when I was in my teens! It was a bit of a jolt to learn that she had died--and was 95--but, of course, that should not shock me! It's just that we tend to think of our favorites from many years ago, as still looking the way we saw them then.

Ginger, I never knew you had a homepage for her.

I had heard of the other deaths this week, and what I found particularly sad was that the news reported that Joan Fontaine and her sister, Olivia de Havilland, had had a 'feud' since 1975, which had never ended. It was mentioned that their fight was over their mother......but that was all that was said. It brought back memories of Susan never forgiving Florence or understanding that her sister had mental difficulties. But that was not a time when people understood much about psychological illnesses.

Anyway, I was very sorry to hear of all these deaths.

Lynn

Wrrol--

I was thinking of the other "leading ladies" who are still with us--beyond Olivia, Kim, Doris. Lizabeth Scott's probably the only "star" I can recall, but there's also Janis Paige, Barbara Hale, Colleen Gray, and Marsha Hunt--Hunt does continue to make appearances at film festivals and interviews.

Bill

There are actually quite a few ( by standards) surviving Golden Age actresses, all over 90 of course.

I should check but I think??? Luise Rainer may be still with us and she would be near 103.

Accompanying those mentioned by Bill and other names above like Olivia De Havilland -

Danielle Darrieux, Carol Channing, Glynis Johns, Maureen O'Hara, Marge Champion come to mind. Nancy Davis ( Reagan) also- and of course the extraordinary Betty White.

Is Zsa Zsa Gabor still with us? Despite horrendous health setbacks, I think she is still alive and Alicia Rhett ( who was in 'Gone with the Wind' amazingly) may also be still with us.

But no question- the list is shrinking dramatically.

Bill...I was watching TCM and suddenly realized we have also missed another star...JANE POWELL..who is still around and apparently doing fine.

Kerry...I didn't read what you had mentioned, until after I sent that message. Yes..Zsa Zsa us still...with us....Vera Miles is also still here. Haven't heard anything on Elaine Stewart..and of course, Rita Moreno..and the wonderful Angela Lansbury who is still going strong!!

Well yes, well no. You see, from my point of view, some of these are just "kids," just "babes in the woods", so to speak. (Rather old woods, admittedly). I was only referencing actresses in their '90s (or as pointed out, Luise Rainer who's beyond that!). But Angela, Vera, Jane, Rita, even Doris (who's not quite made it into the '90s rank); to me, they aren't "old." Neither is Elaine Stewart, but alas, she IS deceased......

Incidentally having NOTHING to do with Susan, or even Audrey, one of my favorites among the "oldies" was Adeline de Walt Reynolds, who died at the age of 99 and made movies up to the age of 98. Actually, she only made movie from the age of 68 on, and never played anything except "grandma," or "grandmother." Her most crucial role was in the Burgess Mweredith-Claire Trevor film noir, Street of Chance, where she never said (or could say) a single word!

Bill, she didn't start making movies until she was 68?..wow, that gives me hope...ha..

i have never heard of her but she sounds very interesting.

Of course, Adelne de Walt Reynolds was born during the early days of the Civil War and her husband died in the San Francisco Earthquake, so she is a little early for most of us.

Bill

Would also like to add to the longevity list -- Ann Blyth, Joan Leslie, Rhonda Fleming, Anne Jeffreys, Jane Withers (a fun person), and, yes, Zsa Zsa is still with us.

Jill

Bill:

I dig what you say about making a distinction between the "kids" and those in their '80s and '90s. So I offer Anne Jeffreys and Joan Leslie as stalwart seniors. Every time I see Ms. Jeffreys she seems to get younger. Unbelievable.

Jill