​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I'll Cry Tomorow

Good question. I can't think of any ,,, will keep thinking. Of course, Lillian wasn't happy about it.

Jill

Just thought of two more -- Rosalind Russell did her own singing in "Gypsy," as well as Jean Simmons in "Guys and Dolls." (I came up with the latter after watching an old "What's My Line" episode yesterday featuring Simmons as the mystery guest!)

Jill

Jill--

I don't know about Simmons, but Russell was almost all dubbed in Gypsy by Lisa Kirk . Her own voice was used in only one song, Mr. Goldstone, and part of Rose's Turn.

Good for you, though--totally right after Jean Simmons and I'd not thought (or probably ever known!) about that! Still, Susan's contribution was exceptional, since her musical ability dominated the picture and, at lest for me, made me wish she had done more dramatic musicals (even her mediocre number in Valley of the Dolls ought to have been actuallly hers).

Thanks for setting me straight on the dubbing for Rosalind. I guess I was fooled b/c they certainly didn't go with someone who could really belt those numbers. And I guess I was fooled by Roz actually singing in a couple of numbers, especially "Mr. Goldstone."

Obviously, Susan's singing throughout "I'll Cry Tomorrow" is all-encompassing and wins the top spot.

Jill

Jill:

A footnote. Lisa Kirk, who did the dubbing for Roz Russell in Gypsy, was actually a first-rate singer/performer/actress--though not a "belter." Her career never got its due. She had the "Lois Lane" role in the first stage production of KISS ME KATE (the role Ann Miller played so marvelously in the movie) and was splendid. And then she starred in the ill-fated musical ALLEGRO, which bombed--as it should not have, and was brilliantly revived a few years ago by ENCORES!--though obviously no longer with Lisa Kirk.

Hi Bill:

You know when I think about it -- I do remember Lisa Kirk -- at least I am old enough to remember her. I think I saw her on some '50s TV shows, perhaps Ed Sullivan?

Hey Jill--

I'm old enough that I remember Lisa Kirk as Lola Lane in Kiss Me Kate and Allegro. Wonderful performance--but of course, Ann Miller stole the movie version with her dancing.

BUT for dramatic actress doing the whole singing numbers in movie,I've got another
candidate

IDA LUPINO in ROAD HOUSE

And come to think of it while Garland was a musical star, her performance in A STAR IS BORN was not a musical performance per say but a dramatic feature--in which she did do all the signing.

And yes, Simmons did sing two numbers in GUYS AND DOLLS but she really wasn't the "singer" of the movie--more Blaine, Johnson, Sinatra.