Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: "No Mirror Can Ever Shave"

Vriju, thank you for that wonderful passage . . . how refreshing it is to be reminded of such simplicity.

Oh ma, what use could I possibly have for knowledge

just make me drunk with your divine love!!!!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Recently I read the following in "The Maharshi" Newsletter (Vol. 12, No. 5)[Originally from the 1972 issues of the Mountain Path magazine]and wish to share it with you in the Mother's Courtyard.

It was in 1940 that one day one of the devotees sitting in the hall raised the topic regarding the utility of reading books on religion and philosophy. In reply Sri Bhagawan (Ramana Maharshi) said, "You wake up in the morning and look into the mirror and the mirror shows you that you have a growth and that you have to get rid of it. You may go on looking into any number of mirrors; every mirror will tell you the same thing, but no mirror can ever shave you. You have to shave yourself. Instead of wasting time looking into mirror after mirror it is best to start shaving after having looked into the first mirror and known the truth.

"So also all the books will tell you the same truth, perhaps in slightly different ways. Instead of wasting time reading book after book why not realize for yourself what was obvious from the very first book."

Re: Re: "No Mirror Can Ever Shave"

Both points are correct, surely ?

It depends upon the needs of the aspirant. At present i would agree with Paritosh on this one; reading the biographies is always a source of inspiration; the Teachings are on the whole well known by now, but the lives of the Great Ones! Only wish i had more.

Re: Re: Re: "No Mirror Can Ever Shave"

As Anthony suggests each one has his own needs. I need these books and all the strength and support while on this path. As Sri Ramakrishna says... doesn't the Mother know and provide the meals according to the needs of the child?

Maybe I am the premature baby who still needs these books. Whatever I am, I can confidently say I am a son of the Mother... and when I say this where is the need for anything else? ... I have cast my burden on Her.

She knows what is best for me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: "No Mirror Can Ever Shave"

jai sri ramakrishna!!! Aren't we all premature babies??? Don't get me wrong, I too find inspiration, unconditional love and solace within the compassionate words of MA regardless of what form she speaks through. Some books closest to my heart, Mata Meera's "Answers," "The Black Goddess of the Dakineshwar Temple," as well as works by Sri Yukteswar . . . Understanding that Ma provides us with the proper meal, often I find myself tossing the book aside to plead with MA directly. For me, the books are the bright colored stains in which i gladly soak . . . Jai ma!!! Who can really understand her ways??? Thanks for listening. I love being here!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

As Anthony suggests each one has his own needs. I need these books and all the strength and support while on this path. As Sri Ramakrishna says... doesn't the Mother know and provide the meals according to the needs of the child?

Maybe I am the premature baby who still needs these books. Whatever I am, I can confidently say I am a son of the Mother... and when I say this where is the need for anything else? ... I have cast my burden on Her.

She knows what is best for me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "No Mirror Can Ever Shave"

Brandon: Welcome to the courtyard... on second thoughts who am I to welcome a child when he comes to be with his own Mother? So let me say, I am glad to see you over here. I would like to remind all of us here that what we overhear here is what Mother wants us to listen to ... She is the Real Listener in the courtyard. All the children are just lucky to hear their brothers and sisters communicate with their own Mother.

If you love being here, can you imagine how happy the Mother is to see Her own child here?? THINK

Mother is not only here but always with each one of her children. Did she not remind her son once "My child whenever you are in trouble just tell yourself you have a Mother"