Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
October 06 2015 Tuesday: Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi)06-Octo

06-October-2015 (Tuesday)
Mother As I Saw Her – Second Part
Swami Saradeshananda
9. The Mother’s Patience and Suffering – 2

Once when the Mother was moving the furniture herself, the top of the above-mentioned table fell on her feet causing a deep cut and bleeding. She was pressing the wound with her hand and trying to stem the bleeding, while tears ran down her cheeks due to the pain. They all came running, got medicines and dressings from the dispensary and had the wound properly bandaged. The Mother took all the blame for this mishap on herself and said, “I thought of removing the table and dusting the place clean. See the broom still lying there. But the wood being too heavy for me, slipped from my grip. Well, one has to suffer according to one’s Karma. Otherwise, if I had just asked somebody else to do it for me, nothing would have happened.’ By this time Nalini-Didi had come there. In a grave tone, as if admonishing a child, she started saying, “She is not satisfied unless she does everything herself. Otherwise where was the necessity for her to move such a heavy piece of furniture herself? Couldn’t she have asked some one amongst us? So many of us are available here to do it for her. Now see how much she is suffering, and who knows how long she will have to do so!” Though Nalini-Didi was thus exaggerating the incident so much, the Mother listened to it all calmly. Soon her pain decreased considerably. She now called to her son who was in-charge of running the affairs of the place, and told him, “Please see that the news of this incident does not reach Calcutta. They will be perturbed very much and will take the trouble to send people here for nothing. The wound is not serious. It will heal soon.” Accordingly, he did not write about it to anybody. The Mother never liked to trouble people on her account. She would patiently bear her own sorrows and troubles.

[Mother As I Saw Her (Being Reminiscences of Holy Mother Sarada Devi) – Swami Saradeshananda. Translated by Prof. J. N. Dey. Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore Madras-600004: p 210]