Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 200 13-August-2016

13-08-2016 Saturday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 200

Anguish and Reassurances – 24

Swami Vivekananda returned to Calcutta from America in February 1897, and soon after went to Darjeeling for his health. Holy Mother went to Calcutta in April, and about that time Swami Vivekananda also went there. They had not seen each other since 1890. It was indeed a happy meeting after such a long separation. Holy Mother’s heart was full of pride and joy at the triumph of her spiritual child. She waited for him silently near the door of her room, covered from head to foot with a cloth on account of her natural modesty. She did not uncover her face before him nor did she speak to him directly. Golap-Ma acted a intermediary. Swami Vivekananda fell prostrate before Holy Mother but did not touch her feet. He asked his companions not to touch her, with the remark: ‘If anybody touches her feet, in her infinite compassion she will take upon herself all the iniquities of the devotee and suffer on that account. Open your hearts to her without words, tell her your desires, and ask her blessings. She knows what goes on within you.’ Holy Mother asked Swami Vivekananda through Golap-Ma: ‘How was your health in Darjeeling? Are you feeling better now?’ Swami Vivekananda said that his health had improved there.

Golap-Ma: ‘Mother says that the Master is always with you. You have many more things to accomplish for the welfare of the world.’

Swamiji:1 (1 The respectful and affectionate term by which Swami Vivekananda is referred to by the devotees and members of the Ramakrishna Order) ‘I clearly see that I am a mere instrument in the Master’s hand. I have seen great happenings n the West: the dedication of men and women there to Sri Ramakrishna’s teachings and also their generous help to me in my work. All this makes me speechless with wonder. I went to America with Mother’s blessings. The success I attained there, and the respect they showed me, convinced me that such impossible things could happen only through the power of her blessings. While I was in America I felt that the Divine Power which the Master called “Mother” was guiding me.’

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 120 – 121