Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 216 29-August-2016

29-08-2016 Monday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 216

In a Domestic Setting – 13

One day Kalikumar had a bitter discussion with Girish Ghosh, a staunch disciple of Sri Ramakrishna, about whether Holy Mother was an ordinary human being or a goddess. Kalikumar naturally regarded her as his sister and said: ‘It is you who call her the Divine Mother or the Mother of the Universe. But we were born from the same womb. I do not understand what you say.’ ‘What are you talking about?’ replied Girish firmly. ‘You are the son of an ordinary brahmin, born and reared in a village. You have forgotten the duties of your caste, such as worship and study, and are now living as a farmer. If a man promises you a bullock for your plough, you will run after him at least six months. Is it not possible for Mahamaya, who can make the impossible possible, to appear as your sister and hoodwink you for the rest of your life? Listen to me. If you want liberation in this life or afterwards, go immediately to Mother and take refuge at her feet. I urge you to go at once.’ Girish’s words always carried great power. Kalikumar went to Holy Mother and clutched her feet. He begged her grace. She said: ‘Kali, what are you doing? I am your sister. What are you saying?’ Kali returned to Girish the same person he was before. Girish asked him to go back, but he would not. Girish once remarked that Holy Mother’s brothers must have performed bone-breaking austerities in a previous life to have obtained her as their sister.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 131 – 132